Countdown begins for Miss India beauty contestFebruary 28th, 2009 - 2:40 pm ICT by ANI
Mumbai, Feb 28 (ANI): It is countdown time for the Miss India 2009 pageant in Mumbai.
Sixty-five dazzling contenders appeared at an event on Friday ahead of the contest, which is to be held on April this year. The sixteen finalists will be announced on March 9.
Some of the contestants were excited and enjoying the media attention.
“It’’s the most renowned and well known contest in the country. Just being a part of it, is amazing. I really hope that I am selected. I am really looking forward to the training,” said Ridhima Shahni, a nineteen-year-old aspirant from Pune.
These contestants are to be put through an intensive training programme to ensure that the eventual winners fare exceptionally well at international pageants.
The finalists will undergo a month-long training under the supervision of experts and professionals.
Contestants are imparted training in catwalk, skin and hair care, make-up and grooming, diet and fitness, speech and diction, workshop on Indian heritage, culture, music and art.
“I tell them one thing, keep and maintain your Indian values and Indian culture that at end of the day when you go abroad and integrate in the modernization, globalization, you will that is what will make you the winner,” said Marc Robinson, a contestant director.
India first won a Miss World title in 1966 with the crowning of Reita Faria. Thereafter, it took another 28 years for an Indian woman to secure another world beauty title.
In 1994, Sushmita Sen won the Miss Universe crown, while Aishwarya Rai secured the Miss World title. Both are now Bollywood actresses. (ANI)
- Models bypass pageants for straight road to Bollywood - Aug 23, 2012
- India has more beauty queens than most countries: Diana - Jun 14, 2012
- Toronto girl is Miss India-Canada, Lisa Ray honoured (With Image) - Jul 27, 2011
- Manasvi Mamgai is Miss India World 2010 - May 01, 2010
- Being beauty queen is about having character: Sushmita Sen - Jul 02, 2011
- Kanishtha Dhankhar crowned Pantaloons Femina Miss India World 2011 - Apr 15, 2011
- Miss India beauty contestants get in shape - Mar 18, 2009
- No favouritism at beauty pageants: Miss Earth Nicole Faria - Nov 14, 2011
- Hard work finally paid off: India's Miss Asia Pacific finalist - Oct 17, 2011
- India makes it to top five at Miss Asia Pacific World - Oct 16, 2011
- Sushmita congratulates Parul for bringing honour to India (With Images) - Dec 28, 2011
- Models gather in Kochi for Miss Queen of India pageant - Mar 07, 2011
- (after 1)International titles evade Indian girls -- wonder why? - Sep 14, 2011
- Indore girl wins Miss Asia Pacific 2012 (With Images) - Jun 19, 2012
- 30 contestants gear up for 'Miss Universe' crown - Apr 28, 2010
Tags: aishwarya rai, beauty contest, beauty title, bollywood actresses, countdown time, culture music, heritage culture, india beauty, indian culture, indian heritage, indian values, indian woman, intensive training, international pageants, marc robinson, miss india, miss universe crown, miss world title, sushmita sen, world beauty