Coronation of three Granthis performed at Golden TempleMarch 1st, 2009 - 5:14 pm ICT by ANI
By Ravinder Singh Robin
Amritsar, March 1: Three Granthis or, the Sikh high priests were coronated at a colourful religious ceremony on Sunday at the Akal Takht Sahib, the highest temporal seat of the Sikhs.
Organised by Shiromani Gurdwara Parbhandhak Committee (SGPC), all the Sikh bodies and organization were invited for this special occasion.
Prominent heads of the Sikh bodies were present during the ceremony including SGPC president Avtar Singh Makkar Sant Samaj, Damdami Taksals all factions, Akhand
Kirtani Jatha and nihang organizations.
Akal Takht Jathedar Gyani Gurbachan Singh informed that on the recommendation of the Shiromani Gurudwara Prabandhak Committee, the responsibilities of the high
priests of the Golden Temple have been given to Bhai Mann Singh, Bhai Rawel Singh and Bhai Sukhjinder Singh.
Makkar, while talking to media on this occasion, reiterated SGPCs stand on the demand of the separate Sikh body in Haryana. He said SGPC would not tolerate the
intervention of the anybody on the affairs of Sikhs.
The Golden Temple is regarded as the holiest shrine in Sikhism. It is because of the presence of Shri Guru Granth Sahib, the holy book described to be the 11th and last
Guru in Sikhism.
The revered book was declared the 11th Guru by Guru Gobind Singh, the 10th Guru of Sikhs, on October 7, 1708.
The Harminder Sahib or Golden Temple, as it is popularly known today, was constructed in 1604. Guru Arjan Dev installed the Guru Granth Sahib in it and appointed Baba
Buddha Ji as the first Granthi of it on August 1604 AD. (ANI)
Ends SD NNNN
- Pro-Khalistan slogans raised in Golden Temple complex - Jun 06, 2012
- SGPC not averse to printing Guru Granth Sahib abroad - Feb 14, 2010
- Printing of Guru Granth Sahib allowed abroad - Sep 22, 2010
- Gurbachan Singh formerly appointed acting Jathedar of Akal Takht - Aug 07, 2008
- Sikh clergy lays foundation stone of Operation Bluestar memorial - May 20, 2012
- SGPC performs Akhand Paath in memory of Taliban-beheaded Sikhs - Feb 25, 2010
- Slap murder charge if holy book is damaged: SGPC - Sep 29, 2011
- Dal Khalsa releases Operation Bluestar directory - Jun 05, 2012
- SGPC installs Golden Temple replica at Wagah border - Mar 20, 2010
- Security stepped up around Haryana gurdwaras - Sep 13, 2010
- Former Akal Takht Jathedar declared guilty of religious misconduct - Dec 05, 2009
- Sikh community offers final prayers for two Sikhs beheaded in Pakistan - Feb 27, 2010
- Congress opposes move to summon PM to Akal Takht - Sep 05, 2011
- President offers prayers at Golden Temple - Oct 06, 2010
- Badal conferred highest Sikh title, radicals cry foul - Dec 05, 2011
Tags: akal takht, amritsar, factions, golden temple, gurbachan singh, guru gobind singh, guru granth sahib, harminder sahib, haryana, high priests, makkar, nihang, nnnn, ravinder singh, religious ceremony, sant samaj, sikh bodies, sikhism, sikhs, special occasion