Consultations on economics of ecosystems, biodiversity in India begins tomorrowFebruary 9th, 2011 - 10:36 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Feb 9 (ANI): The two day’s stakeholder consultations to develop the framework for strengthening biodiversity conservation programs and initiating action for assessing the economic value of India’s natural capital begins here on Thursday.
It aims to recognize, demonstrate, capture and optimize the value of biodiversity and ecosystem service and targets policy actions at national and state levels, improvements in business assessments and disclosure, and improved citizen awareness of the issues involved.
The consultations will cover subjects like financing biodiversity in India, introduction of the economics of ecosystems and biodiversity in India, the economic of ecosystem and biodiversity (TEEB) and its relevance for Business and NGO, climate change concerns and biodiversity conservation, and application of economic valuation tools.
India is one of the recognized mega-diverse countries of the world. With an area of about 329 mha, India is 7th largest country in the world. India has wide range of ecosystems and habitats such as forests, grasslands, wetlands, coastal and marine ecosystems, and deserts which in turn have contributed to immense biological diversity with large variation in species of plants, animals and microbes.
With only 2.4 per cent of world’s land area, India accounts for 7 to 8 percent of the recorded plant and animal species of the world. (ANI)
- India moves ahead with conservation and sustainable use of biodiversity - Feb 10, 2011
- 11 goals for India in International Year of Biodiversity - Jan 04, 2010
- Maharashtra to bid for UN recognition to six wetlands (With Images) - Sep 07, 2012
- 15 distinct regions identified in Antarctica - Jun 14, 2012
- India,Brazil take lead in move to 'green' economic future - Oct 21, 2010
- A fifth of world's life at extinction risk - Oct 27, 2010
- Cabinet approves Nagoya Protocol on access and benefit sharing - Apr 20, 2011
- Chandy launches logo for biodiversity clubs in colleges - Apr 27, 2012
- Cranes, storks thriving in Uttar Pradesh wetlands - Nov 22, 2011
- Jairam Ramesh calls for convergence on reducing biodiversity loss - May 22, 2010
- India pioneers global plan to green economy - Oct 28, 2010
- Time to integrate nature into national plans: UN environment chief (Interview) - Oct 28, 2010
- 100,000 community foresters to help green India - Oct 18, 2011
- Gujarat coral reefs a virtual gold mine - Mar 27, 2011
- Save 587 sites to save life, urge scientists - Oct 26, 2010
Tags: animal species, biodiversity in india, biological diversity, business assessments, citizen awareness, climate change concerns, conservation programs, countries of the world, economic valuation, economic value, grasslands, india introduction, marine ecosystems, mha india, microbes, policy actions, species of the world, teeb, valuation tools, value of biodiversity