Congress to discuss issue of govt. formation without LaluMay 18th, 2009 - 4:59 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, May 18 (ANI): All India Congress Committee (AICC) General Secretary Digvijay Singh on Monday said the Congress would discuss the issue of government formation only with its pre-poll allies, of which the Rashtriya Janata Dal (RJD) is not a part.
“Along with the Congress, we have the Nationalist Congress Party (NCP), the Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam (DMK), the Indian Union Muslim League (IUML), the Trinamool Congress (TC), the National Conference (NC), Kerala Congress and Jharkhand Mukti Morcha (JMM). These are the allies. Pre-poll allies as Janardan Dwivedi has indicated does not include the RJD at the moment,” Digvijay Singh told reporters here.
When asked if the RJD Chief Lalu Prasad is a member of the UPA Government, Singh said the Railways Minister did not consider the Congress strong enough for a pre-poll alliance.
At the same time, Digvijay Singh praised the RJD chief for standing by the Congress when it was in the opposition and termed him as ‘a very senior and seasoned politician’.
“Lalu is the person who stood in support of Sonia Gandhi, when everybody was opposing. We cannot forget this,” Singh added. (ANI)
- Seat sharing talks between DMK, Congress cancelled - Mar 03, 2011
- DMK pulls out of UPA government, to provide issue-based support - Mar 05, 2011
- Baalu likely to meet PM as Cong-DMK standoff over seat sharing continues - Mar 05, 2011
- Indian states and their ruling parties - May 13, 2011
- AIADMK alliance committed to overthrow Congress-DMK compile in assembly polls: Vaiko - Jan 01, 2011
- Cong-DMK standoff: All problems will be solved, says Mukherjee - Mar 05, 2011
- Jharkhand's ruling alliance to face each other in Hatia by-poll - May 23, 2012
- Supporting or withdrawing support is usual political procedure: Mulayam - Mar 06, 2011
- Congress, JMM candidates win Jharkhand Rajya Sabha polls - Jun 17, 2010
- BJP backtracks, votes for JMM candidate - Mar 30, 2012
- Election Commission acting against DMK, alleges Alagiri - Apr 18, 2011
- Tamil Nadu polls: Allies urge Vaiko to reconsider boycott - Mar 21, 2011
- Filing of nomination for TN, Puducherry and Kerala to end today - Mar 26, 2011
- Sonia Gandhi to address election rally in Puducherry - Apr 05, 2011
- Pranab campaigns in Jharkhand, Lalu, Paswan also pitch in - Jul 12, 2012
Tags: aicc, allies, digvijay singh, dravida munnetra kazhagam, general secretary, government formation, india congress committee, iuml, jharkhand mukti morcha, jmm, kerala, lalu prasad, mukti, muslim league, nationalist congress party, poll alliance, railways, rjd, sonia gandhi, trinamool congress