Congress suspends Narayan RaneDecember 6th, 2008 - 5:31 pm ICT by ANI
Mumbai, Dec 6 (ANI): The Congress today suspended Maharashtra leader Narayan Rane, a day after party president Sonia Gandhi decided in Ashok Chavan’’s favour for the post of new Maharashtra Chief Minister, rather than in Rane’’s who was the other strong contender for the post.
“It has been observed that after the announcement of the new leader of the Congress Legislature Party (CLP) in Maharashtra, Narayan Rane is making public statements deliberately with a view to lowering the prestige of the Indian National Congress,” said AICC General Secretary Janardan Dwivedi.
“The party has taken a serious view of his utterances and considering this as a case of gross indiscipline, Narayan Rane has been suspended from the party with immediate effect,” he added.
On Friday, Rane slammed the Congress party for delaying its decision in choosing Vilasrao Deshmukh’’s successor.
Rane said: “While the state faces such a tough situation, there is still no leader. I have not understood the reasons behind it, despite observers from Delhi coming here.”
“Vilasrao Deshmukh’’s behaviour was shameful. He is a blot on the position of CM and has the blood of all dead and injured on his hands,” he added.
He also said that Chavan did not have the experience to be the chief minister of a state.
Saying that he is out of the race as some Delhi and state leaders had conspired against him, Rane added, “Deshmukh and (Congress party president) Manekrao Thakre conspired against me along with one leader from Delhi.”
Rane also said that he did not want any position from the Congress. (ANI)
- Sonia to select Mumbai, Maharashtra Congress chiefs - Sep 14, 2010
- Ashok Chavan to be new Maharashtra Chief Minister, Rane rebels - Dec 05, 2008
- Congress seeks new Maharashtra chief minister - Nov 09, 2010
- Maharashtra may ban controversial book on Gandhi - Mar 30, 2011
- Congress legislators arrive at party headquarters to chose new CLP leader - Oct 24, 2009
- Rane suspended from Congress for 'gross indiscipline' - Dec 06, 2008
- Not many choices before Congress to replace Ashok Chavan - Oct 31, 2010
- Maharashtra Congress leaders called to Delhi for talks - Oct 24, 2009
- Maharashtra CM Ashok Chavan likely to meet Pranab tonight - Oct 31, 2010
- Rahul Gandhi assesses Congress' strength in Maharashtra - Apr 27, 2012
- No problem between Sonia Gandhi, PM: Congress spokesman - Dec 14, 2010
- Maharashtra Congress chief calls for truce between CM, predecessors - Nov 01, 2010
- Congress took right decision in choosing Chavan to lead Maharashtra: Deshmukh - Nov 10, 2010
- Congress asks Chavan to quit as Maharashtra chief minister (Second Lead) - Nov 09, 2010
- Congress axes Chavan, Kalmadi before winter session (Afternoon Lead) - Nov 09, 2010
Tags: ashok, chavan, clp, congress legislature party, congress party president, congress today, contender, favour, general secretary, indian national congress, indiscipline, maharashtra chief minister, mumbai, mumbai terror attack, narayan rane, observers, prestige, public statements, sonia gandhi, state leaders, utterances