Congress seeks Presidents intervention in OrissaMarch 10th, 2009 - 6:17 pm ICT by ANI
Bhubaneswar, Mar 10 (ANI): The Congress on Tuesday sought the Presidents intervention in the trial of strength of the BJD government in Orissa.
The Campaign Committee Chairman of the State Congress Srikanta Jena also demanded the Election Commissions intervention, saying it was violative of the Model Code of Conduct.
When the general election date has been announced and the code of conduct enforced there is no necessity to call the assembly and give an opportunity to the state government to prove its strength, Jena said in a statement.
This is violation of the code of conduct as it is likely to influence the voters mind, he added.
Jena has also demanded immediate resignation of the chief minister Naveen Patnaik.
The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) and Biju Janata Dal (BJD) alliance in Orissa split over differences in seat-sharing on March 7.
Since 1998, the BJD has been contesting 84 Assembly and 12 Lok Sabha seats while BJP has fielded candidates in 63 Assembly and nine Lok Sabha constituencies.
The Orissa State Assembly polls will be held along with the general elections on April 16 and 23. (ANI)
- Pranab in Odisha to seek support - Jul 11, 2012
- BJP rules out poll pact with BJD - Oct 31, 2011
- Sangma arrives in Odisha to seek support - Jul 15, 2012
- Sangma to campaign in Odisha July 15 - Jul 06, 2012
- BJD refuses to join NDA rally - Dec 15, 2010
- Congress, BJD trade charges over presidential election - Jul 01, 2012
- Congress never cared for poor but enriched itself, says Gadkari - Jan 17, 2011
- BJD to abstain in vice-presidential poll - Aug 05, 2012
- Pranab hopeful of Mamata's support (Lead) - Jul 11, 2012
- Patnaik leaves for Delhi to back Sangma - Jun 27, 2012
- Patnaik yet to make up mind on joining NDA rally - Dec 09, 2010
- NCP withdraws support to BJD in Orissa - Dec 29, 2010
- Naveen Patnaik rules out supporting Congress - Mar 07, 2011
- Naveen Patnaik is Sangma's proposer for president's poll (Lead) - Jun 26, 2012
- Dissident BJD leader's forum a parallel platform? - Oct 12, 2011
Tags: bharatiya janata party, bhubaneswar, biju, bjp, campaign committee, chief minister, code of conduct, committee chairman, election commissions, general elections, jena, lok sabha constituencies, lok sabha seats, model code, naveen patnaik, orissa state, resignation, state assembly polls, state congress, state government