Congress seeks inquiry in Baramulla firingJanuary 2nd, 2012 - 9:57 pm ICT by IANS
Jammu, Jan 2 (IANS) The Congress’ Jammu and Kashmir unit Monday asked the Omar Abdullah government to institute an inquiry into an incident of firing by Central Industrial Security Force (CISF) on people in Baramulla protesting against the power shortage, that led to one person’s death.
Congress said that person killed was a class 12 student named Altaf Ahmad Sood.
In a statement, state Congress chief Saifuddin Soz, who also hails from Baramulla district of north Kashmir, condemned the incident, terming it “very unfortunate”.
“Such incidents are highly deplorable and should not be tolerated,” Soz said, asking the state to institute an enquiry into the incident and “bring people responsible for firing to book”.
- One killed in CISF firing, five troopers arrested (Third Lead) - Jan 02, 2012
- Omar in Baramulla to assess fallout of CISF firing - Jan 03, 2012
- AFSPA removal issue being pursued, says Omar - Jan 05, 2012
- Omar says CISF firing 'inexcusable', promises justice (Lead, Changing dateline) - Jan 03, 2012
- One killed in CISF firing, Kashmir promises action (Lead) - Jan 02, 2012
- Five troopers held for Kashmir firing death (Second Lead) - Jan 02, 2012
- Omar chairs high-level meeting to review power status - Jan 04, 2012
- Yasin Malik arrested in Srinagar (With image) - Jan 06, 2012
- Congress steps up campaign for rotational chief minister - Dec 25, 2011
- Poll victory shows alliance unity: Omar - Apr 13, 2011
- Congress lambasts Omar for acting in 'arbitrary manner' - Oct 27, 2011
- Farooq angry over talk of chief minister's rotation - Dec 27, 2011
- Soz discusses AFSPA with governor? - Nov 21, 2011
- My word on rotation of chief minister final: Soz - Dec 25, 2011
- Congress minister's pro-Omar remark draws party's flak - Oct 30, 2011
Tags: ahmad, central industrial security, central industrial security force cisf, congress chief, enquiry, jammu and kashmir, kashmir, north kashmir, power shortage, saifuddin, security force, sood, soz, state congress