Congress, Samajwadi Party to jointly contest Lok Sabha elections in UPSeptember 1st, 2008 - 8:11 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Sept 01 (ANI): The Samajwadi Party and Congress today decided to jointly contest the Lok Sabha elections in Uttar Pradesh.
The SP is also seeking alliance in four other states including Madhya Pradesh, Maharashtra and Karnataka
After a marathon four-hour long talk with a Congress delegation led by party general secretary Rahul Gandhi, SP general secretary Amar Singh said that the seat-sharing would be carried out with winnability as the criteria in the state.
Sending out a signal of warmth and goodwill towards the Congress leadership, Singh told reporters that if in any eventuality, the alliance does not work out, “we will not oppose Sonia Gandhi and Rahul in their constituencies”.
The SP leader said that talks in which AICC general secretary Digvijay Singh and UPCC chief Rita Bahuguna Joshi also participated, were held in cordial atmosphere and the overriding sentiment was one of unity to face the challenges ahead.
“Just like Congress is asking for more seats in UP, despite being weak there, similarly we also asked them to help us in states like Madhya Pradesh, Maharashtra, Uttarakhand and Karnataka, where we have a marginal presence,” Singh said.
Singh said that SP would welcome joint campaigns in other states by both the parties, as they have forged a strong long term alliance.
Terming the attitude of both Sonia Gandhi and Rahul Gandhi as positive towards SP, he once again thanked the Congress leadership for inviting the party to join the Union Cabinet.
Singh, however, refused to divulge details about the number of seats Congress sought from SP in UP.
The next meeting between the two parties on seat sharing is expected to take place on September 8, sources said. (ANI)
- RLD joins hands with Congress for Uttar Pradesh polls - Dec 11, 2011
- Rahul ready for bigger role, to be No 2 in party (Night Lead) - Jul 19, 2012
- UP voters dethrone Mayawati, choose Mulayam over BJP, Congress (Roundup) - Mar 06, 2012
- PM to address Punjab rallies on Jan 21 - Jan 12, 2012
- PM, Pranab and Sonia vote in presidential election - Jul 19, 2012
- Congress leaders meet to review poll performance (Lead) - Mar 07, 2012
- Rahul-Ajit combo try to whip up magic in Meerut (Lead) - Feb 02, 2012
- Congress holds rallies to counter opposition's corruption tirade - Jan 13, 2011
- W.Bengal Polls: Gandhi instructs Mukherjee to meet TMC leaders - Mar 21, 2011
- Congress attacks Uma Bharti for Sonia remark - Jan 19, 2012
- Time for Rahul to assume bigger role, says Digvijay - Jul 16, 2012
- Clamour grows for larger role in Congress for Rahul (Lead) - Jul 17, 2012
- Tiwari goes as Congress house leader, Mathur in (Second Lead) - Jun 06, 2012
- Congress axes Pramod Tiwari as CLP leader (Lead, changing dateline) - Jun 06, 2012
- Rita Bahuguna Joshi offers to resign over UP results (Lead) - Mar 09, 2012