Congress President Sonia Gandhi visits Dalit colony, partakes village foodJanuary 28th, 2009 - 11:33 pm ICT by ANI
Rae Bareilly, Jan.28 (ANI): The United Progressive Alliance (UPA) Chairperson and Congress President Sonia Gandhi chose to visit a Dalit familys house in Rohania Village during the second day of her visit to her parliamentary constituency Rae Bareilly.
Sonia Gandhi made a surprise visit to one Rampal’’s thatched house. In her over half-an-hour stay, Gandhi ate “chuda” (flattened rice) and interacted with the family. She had some eatables at the Dalit familys house.
Later, the Congress President Ms.Gandhi visited the Mahepasi fort in Salon area and assured help to raise it as a tourist spot. “I will talk to Tourism Minister Ambika Soni for making it a tourist attraction.”
Local Dalmau MLA, Ajay Pal, drew Sonias attention to the backwardness of the district in health and education. She assured him of measures to overcome it.
Besides, a delegation of Indian Telephone Industries (ITI) employees from Manikapur, Allahabad and Rae Bareli met Gandhi and demanded steps for revival of the industry.
On Tuesday, they had staged a sit-in in front of ITI while Sonia Gandhi was passing through the area. They were, however, prevented by the police.
Employees claimed that Gandhi assured them of help to the ITI in the next Five Year Plan.
She also visited Indira Gandhi Eye Hospital in Mushiganj area of Amethi. Congress General Secretary and Sonias son Rahul Gandhi and British Foreign Secretary David Miliband had visited this hospital on January 14.
Rahul Gandhi had visited a Dalit’’s colony earlier this month to feel the pulse of rural life. (ANI)
- Sonia reviews developmental schemes in constituency - May 12, 2011
- Sonia Gandhi calls UP people to question Mayawati on funds utilization - May 17, 2010
- Sonia slams U.P. Govt. for step motherly treatment towards Rae Bareily, Amethi - May 17, 2010
- Akhilesh seeks three more AIIMS-like institutes in UP - May 18, 2012
- Sonia Gandhi begins two-day Rae Bareli visit - Feb 04, 2011
- Rae Bareilly remembers Indira Gandhi on 25th death anniversary - Oct 31, 2009
- Rahul in Amethi to 're-motivate' Congress workers - Apr 30, 2012
- When Rahul speaks, Maya's throne shakes: Congress - Mar 16, 2010
- Poll panel shunts UP officials for being Mayawati 'agents' - Feb 13, 2012
- Gandhi charisma fading? Congress humbled in Rae Bareli, Amethi - Mar 06, 2012
- Sonia Gandhi to Visit Rae Bareli to launch Rail Coach Factory - Jan 24, 2009
- Rahul visits Haryana village hit by anti-Dalit violence - Apr 29, 2010
- Sonia Gandhi to visit Rae Bareli for two days - Feb 02, 2011
- Elections 2012: UP poll battle begins Wednesday - Feb 06, 2012
- Priyanka returns to campaign in Amethi (Lead) - Jan 16, 2012
Tags: ambika soni, amethi, bareilly, congress president sonia gandhi, dalmau, david miliband, eatables, eye hospital, indira gandhi, ms gandhi, parliamentary constituency, police employees, president ms, progressive alliance, rae bareli, rahul gandhi, salon area, secretary david, tourism minister, tourist spot