Congress, PDP slam BJP’s flag hoisting planJanuary 6th, 2011 - 7:01 pm ICT by IANS
Jammu, Jan 6 (IANS) A day after Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah cautioned the BJP against hoisting the national flag at the historic Lal Chowk in Srinagar on Republic Day, the Congress and the main opposition Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) Thursday attacked the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) for its plan.State Congress president Saif-ud-Din Soz said: “BJP has embarked on a policy of dividing the people. The move to hoist the flag on Republic Day is a political gimmick to gain the political mileage and reflective of vote bank politics.”
Soz was talking to reporters on the sidelines of a party function here.
Earlier Thursday, PDP patron and former chief minister Mufti Mohammad Sayeed said that whenever the BJP was out of power, it resorted to such “gimmicks”.
He said that when the BJP was in power, it did not “talk of abrogation of Article 370 (granting special status to Jammu and Kashmir within Indian union), and now it is raking up the issue while it is out of power.”
Almost all parties in Kashmir, including the separatists, have decided to oppose the BJP’s Republic Day plans.
The BJP, on the other hand, has maintained the flag hoisting was part of its nationwide campaign for unity and solidarity.
“Jammu and Kashmir is an integral part and we are within our rights to hoist the flag on the national festival in any part of the country,” Nirmal Singh, member of the national executive of the party, told reporters Wednesday.
He was reacting to Omar Abdullah’s statements terming the flag hoisting a “provocative act”, saying that he feared the move could trigger a fresh wave of violent protests in the Valley.
- BJP to go ahead with flag hoisting in Srinagar - Jan 06, 2011
- Yatra stopped to please separatists: BJP; flag hoisted at Madhopur (Roundup) - Jan 26, 2011
- Omar has reduced AFSPA issue to gimmickry: Mufti - Nov 28, 2011
- National Conference accuses BJP of arousing communal passions - Jan 21, 2011
- Rotational chief minister decision upto 'high command': Soz - Dec 17, 2011
- Omar slams BJP over flag hoisting plan at Srinagar on Republic Day - Jan 05, 2011
- Decision on AFSPA in November: Omar Abdullah - Oct 28, 2011
- PDP government delivered better with only 16 legislators: Mehbooba - Dec 13, 2011
- NC-Congress coordination panel to meet Saturday - Jan 06, 2012
- Vote-bank politics obstruct progressive laws for women: Jaitley - Jan 13, 2011
- Gadkari launches march to hoist national flag at Srinagar - Jan 12, 2011
- Mufti Sayeed seeks civic polls in Kashmir - Dec 04, 2011
- Soz asks Congress ministers to assist snow-hit valley - Jan 16, 2012
- Omar faces criticism from allies, opposition alike - Mar 26, 2012
- BJP MP dares Malik on Lal Chowk flag - Jan 05, 2011
Tags: abrogation, bharatiya janata party, bjp, chowk, congress president, jammu and kashmir, kashmir, kashmir chief minister, national executive, national flag, pdp, political gimmick, political mileage, republic day, sayeed, separatists, srinagar, state congress, violent protests, vote bank