Congress-NCP bond intact as of nowApril 10th, 2009 - 4:48 pm ICT by ANI
Vidarbha, Apr. 10 (ANI): UPA Chairperson Sonia Gandhi and NCP President Sharad Pawar on Friday shared the stage in Vidarbha indicating that despite opposing each other in almost all states, the Congress and the NCP bond will remain strong in Maharashtra.
“We will not let communal poison seep in the soil of Vidarbha. We don’t want communal forces to lead Indian and in that direction we have tied up with the NCP, a secular political party,” Gandhi said while addressing the rally in Gondiya.
Mentioning the names of Jawaharlal Nehru and Mahatama Gandhi, she pointed out that the Congress was committed to the development of India.
“Our fight is that of ideology,” Sonia said, adding that the Congress was like an umbrella, sheltering all religions.
Addressing the rally in parched Vidarbha, Gandhi said that the UPA had taken the responsibility of resolving farmer issues in the country and had waivered 71000 crore rupees worth of loans to them.
Interestingly, when Union Civil Aviation Minister Praful Patel said that Manmohan Singh would be the Prime Minister of India after elections, Pawar, who is harboring prime ministerial ambitions, maintained a studied silence.
Patel is contesting the Bhandara-Gondia constituency.
Gandhi is scheduled to address three more election rallies for Congress candidates in Chandrapur, Yavatmal and Ramtek parliamentary seats. ANI)
- Sonia, Pawar to address joint rally in Maharashtra today - Apr 10, 2009
- Sonia Gandhi to hold a road show in Nagpur - Apr 06, 2009
- Sonia launches campaign with Pawar, attacks communal parties - Apr 10, 2009
- In Maharashtra, 246 candidates in contest Thursday - Apr 14, 2009
- Farmers' widows hold silent protest at Rahul rally - Oct 09, 2009
- Maharashtra recording low voter turnout, polling peaceful (Lead) - Apr 16, 2009
- NCP and government mend fences, PM praises Pawar (Second Lead) - Jul 20, 2012
- PM praises Pawar, UPA row ebbs for now (Roundup) - Jul 20, 2012
- Pawar meets Sonia to discuss 'coalition issues' - Jul 20, 2012
- Praful denies resignation, NCP stays with UPA (Lead) - Jul 20, 2012
- 3 more farmers commit suicide in Vidarbha - May 22, 2012
- Peaceful start to polling in Maharashtra - Apr 16, 2009
- PM willing to talk to NCP 'on any issue' (Lead) - Jul 25, 2012
- Congress, NCP stand-off ends with decision on better coordination (Roundup) - Jul 25, 2012
- Vidarbha shutdown called Jan 20, united front formed - Jan 07, 2010
Tags: bhandara, chairperson, civil aviation, communal forces, congress candidates, congress ncp, constituency, crore rupees, election rallies, jawaharlal nehru, maharashtra, mahatama gandhi, manmohan, manmohan singh, parliamentary seats, praful patel, prime minister of india, sharad pawar, sonia gandhi, UPA