Congress hurt by Lalu’s remarks on Babri demolition: SibalApril 18th, 2009 - 8:04 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi/Patna, Apr 18 (ANI): Senior Congress leader and Union Minister Kapil Sibal on Saturday reacted sharply and with dismay to Rashtriya Janata Dal (RJD) chief Lalu Prasad’s remarks that the Congress was equally responsible for the demolition of the Babri mosque. He said his party was hurt by Yadav’s remarks.
Sibal also warned Lalu not to enter into an alliance with former Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Kalyan Singh, a prime accused in Babri mosque demolition.
“The real accused is Kalyan Singh who assured that he will safeguard the Babri mosque. But today both are contesting elections together in Uttar Pradesh. Lalu has not commented anything on him. We are hurt but we also believe that he might have made the remarks due to election fever in Bihar,” Sibal said.
Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar said that if Lalu Prasad was aware of the Congress hand in the demolition of the mosque, then he should not have been associated with that party for the past 12 years.
“Lalu is forgetting. That is why he is sitting on the lap of the Congress since then. Congress has to reply as to why it has maintained a relation with such an irresponsible man for the past 12 years,” Kumar said.
Lalu had earlier accused the Congress of being responsible for the demolition of the Babri mosque.
“The Congress failed to protect the Babri mosque, as it did nothing to prevent it. Not only the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), the Congress is also equally responsible for the demolition of Babri Masjid in Ayodhya,” Prasad said at a rally in Manigachi, Bihar.
“When the Babri Masjid was demolished, the Congress was in power at the Centre. There is little doubt that it provided tacit support to the BJP instead of preventing them from demolishing the mosque,” Prasad added. (ANI)
- Congress responsible for Babri demolition: Lalu - Apr 18, 2009
- Mosque demolition: CBI challenges Advani clean-chit (Lead) - Feb 18, 2011
- Now, Paswan holds Congress culpable in Babri demolition - Apr 20, 2009
- Supreme Court issues notice to Advani and others in Babri Masjid demolition case - Mar 04, 2011
- PM counters Lalu's Babri demolition charge - Apr 19, 2009
- Someone must be responsible for Babri mosque demolition, says Chidambaram - Dec 08, 2009
- BJP dismisses Liberhan report; Congress blames RSS (Roundup) - Dec 08, 2009
- Mulayam Singh apologies to Muslim community - Jul 15, 2010
- Factsheet: Timeline of the Ayodhya Dispute - May 09, 2011
- BJP fully responsible for Babri mosque demolition: Chidambaram (Lead) - Dec 08, 2009
- Congress book blames Sangh parivar for Babri demolition, defends Rao - Dec 30, 2010
- Congress betrayed Muslims: Mayawati - Dec 18, 2011
- Congress MP blames Rao also for Babri mosque demolition (Lead) - Dec 08, 2009
- Mulayam's apology to Muslim community a political gimmick: Mayawati - Jul 15, 2010
- Congress also responsible for Babri demolition: Lalu Prasad - Apr 18, 2009
Tags: babri masjid, babri mosque, bharatiya janata party, bjp, chief minister, congress hand, congress leader, demolition, dismay, election fever, kalyan singh, kapil sibal, lalu prasad, New Delhi, patna, rally, tacit support, union minister, uttar pradesh, yadav