Congress hits back at Advani over his anti-Ambedkar remarksMarch 2nd, 2009 - 11:07 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Mar 2 (ANI): Agitated over BJP leader L.K. Advanis remarks blaming Congress of having acted against Dr. B R. Ambedkar at one time, the party on Monday chose to describe his statement as complete ignorance of political history.
Advani alleged that the Congress was anti-Ambedkar and worked against Ambedkar. He also said the Congress is anti-low castes. If anybody who does not know history, such allegations would be termed as non-sense. A statement from a person, who is a prime ministerial candidate of a party, does not only show cheap politics but also reflects complete ignorance of political history, said Abhishek Manu Singhvi, the Congresss spokesman.
Questioning Advanis awareness of history, Singhvi said the NDAs prime ministerial candidate was not even aware of the stand taken by his own colleague Arun Shouries earlier in his book Worshipping False Gods.
We would like to make a humble request to Advani that he should read a book, Worshipping False Gods, written by his own colleague Arun Shourie. He is unaware of history and has no knowledge of Ambedkars relations with Congress. He is unaware of the role played by Ambedkar and Congress in Indias freedom movement. He should at least have the knowledge of his colleagues book, Singhvi said.
On Sunday, Advani had accused the Congress of adopting tactics which ensured defeat of Dalit icon and architect of the Constitution, Bhimrao Ambedkar in post-Independence polls.
After Independence, when the first government of the country was taking shape, Pandit Jawahar Lal Nehru gave priority to give berth only to Congressmen in it. But Gandhiji advised him to include scholar leaders like Shyama Prasad Mukherjee and Ambedkar in the government, Advani had stated in Gwalior during a public rally.
Though Ambedkar was later made chairman of the committee formed for framing the Indian Constitution in which he had ensured that all sections of society are protected, Advani had added. (ANI)
- Advani hints he may not be PM candidate in 2014 - Sep 21, 2011
- Shourie claim of talking to PM on 2G scam baseless: Congress - Feb 11, 2011
- Finally, Advani-Gadkari feud out in the open (Third Lead) - Jun 01, 2012
- Court verdict a vindication, says BJP; Congress says no clean chit to Modi (Roundup) - Sep 13, 2011
- Almost no relationship with BJP: Arun Shourie - Jul 22, 2011
- Pawar criticises RPI's alliance with BJP, Shiv Sena - Jun 10, 2011
- Congress accuses BJP of double standards with regard to Advani, Jaswant - Aug 21, 2009
- Singhvi stays away from parliament (Lead) - Apr 24, 2012
- Media houses restrained from publishing Singhvi CD - Apr 16, 2012
- Advani is emotive as Rajnath calls him PM material (Lead) - Nov 08, 2011
- Advani's attack on PM betrays desperation, says Congress - Jan 21, 2011
- Congress flays BJP over Advani comment - Sep 21, 2011
- Arun Shourie: Threshold of pain (IANS Books) - Jul 19, 2011
- Advani's last throw of the dice (Comment) - Oct 15, 2011
- Dalits angry with derogatory Ambedkar cartoon: Athawale (With Image) - Apr 03, 2012
Tags: abhishek, advani, advanis, berth, bhimrao ambedkar, castes, colleague, congressmen, false gods, freedom movement, gwalior, humble request, indian constitution, jawahar lal nehru, lal, manu, political history, prime ministerial candidate, public rally, taking shape