Congress calls emergency meeting after Karat-Pranab talks end in stalemate (Lead:Cong-Left)November 14th, 2007 - 1:51 am ICT by admin
A safeguard agreement with the IAEA is important to operationalise the nuclear deal, which is being objected by the Left Front.
The talks between Karat and Mukherjee reportedly remained inconclusive.
An emergency meeting of the Congress core group has been called to assess the situation, which according to sources have become ‘volatile’.
Though political leaders from both the sides have refused to say anything on record, speculations are rife that a showdown between the Congress-led UPA and the Left, which provides crucial support to the coalition, is drawing near.
The special committee of the UPA and the Left, formed for resolving differences over the nuclear deal is scheduled to meet on Tuesday.
The UPA Government wanted to open informal negotiations with the IAEA during the international body’s chief, Mohamed ElBaradei’s three-day visit to New Delhi beginning Tuesday. (ANI)
- Pranab, Mamata meet on seat-sharing inconclusive (Lead) - Mar 16, 2011
- Left rejects any patch-up with government - Aug 09, 2011
- India honours ElBaradei with Indira Gandhi Prize - Sep 30, 2009
- El-Baradei was 'too soft on Tehran', says WikiLeaks cable - Feb 10, 2011
- India-US nuclear deal was win-win: ElBaradei - Mar 19, 2011
- CPI-M limits three terms to its leaders - Apr 05, 2012
- CPI-M congratulates Pranab, holds back support for now - Jun 15, 2012
- Left-UPA stalemate over n-deal continues (Night Lead) - Jun 18, 2008
- It's now or never, government advises Left (Second Lead) - Jun 18, 2008
- Buddhadeb skips CPI-M meet - Apr 03, 2012
- Left to reject government's plea on IAEA pact (Second Lead) - Jun 17, 2008
- Pranab meets Karat to push n-deal - Jun 17, 2008
- Left to discuss government request on IAEA pact (Lead) - Jun 17, 2008
- Pranab Mukherjee is UPA's man for president (Third Lead) - Jun 15, 2012
- Egypt crisis: US sizing up ex-IAEA chief El-Baradei - Feb 01, 2011
Tags: communists, congress, core group, crucial, IAEA, indo, informal negotiations, international body, mohamed elbaradei, New Delhi, nuclear deal, political leaders, safeguard, special committee, speculations, stalemate, unscheduled, UPA, volatile