Conference of State Ministers of Animal Husbandry to be held todaySeptember 13th, 2008 - 10:30 am ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Sept 13 (ANI): A Conference of State Ministers of Animal Husbandry and Dairying will be convened here today to devise a strategy for accelerated growth in the livestock sector.
The conference will be inaugurated by Agriculture Minister, Sharad Pawar, and will be attended by the State Animal Husbandry and Dairy Development Ministers, concerned officers and veterinary and animal sciences experts.
Though the contribution of livestock sector to agriculture GDP has gone up in the recent years, this sector is presently facing serious constraints due to huge unproductive population, diseases and shortage of feed and fodder. It is in this context that a National Livestock Policy and a National Dairy Plan have been drawn up.
The Policy contemplates to double the availability of protein from 10 gm per capita per day at present to 20 gm within a decade.
The Dairy Plan would focus on improvement of cattle breeds, marketing and other issues. These items will be discussed with the State Governments during the Conference.
The Conference would also discuss issues such as feed and availability of fodder, control of livestock diseases (such as the foot and mouth disease and bird flu), preparation for natural calamities and threat emerging from global warming. (ANI)
- Pawar urges states to increase milk production - Nov 18, 2011
- Haryana to set up 200 hi-tech mini-dairies - Jul 02, 2012
- India dairy seeks more state investment to stay on top - Feb 16, 2010
- Fodder shortage may hit milk production: Pawar - Jul 18, 2012
- Livestock business gaining popularity among Punjab farmers - Nov 18, 2009
- India most secure against Mad Cow disease - Jun 07, 2010
- President to chair governors' panel meet - Dec 14, 2011
- Will control foot and mouth disease: Minister - Feb 13, 2012
- Punjab to have mobile ambulance for animals - May 13, 2012
- Punjab to have cattle markets on French lines - Jun 21, 2011
- Kerala to get milk from Maharashtra to meet shortages - Feb 11, 2010
- Pawar to inaugurate agriculture ministers' conference in Jaipur - Oct 19, 2010
- Livestock boom worsening epidemics risks globally - Feb 14, 2011
- Pawar asks State Governments to hike spending on animal husbandry - Sep 13, 2008
- Fodder scam: 64 convicts get jail terms in one case (Second Lead) - Jan 31, 2012