Complete peace must for AFSPA repeal: OfficialsMarch 24th, 2011 - 10:47 pm ICT by IANS
Jammu, March 24 (IANS) The Armed Forces Special Powers Act (AFSPA) will stay in Jammu and Kashmir until the return of complete peace in the state, officials said Thursday.
Despite a mounting campaign by both political groups and separatists in Kashmir, the government consulted the army and paramilitary forces before a final decision is taken on the revocation of the law that grants immunity to the security forces during anti-insurgency operations.
According to official sources, the army has put its foot down and so have the paramilitary forces.
With this, the government, that was pitching for the removal of the special powers in a gradual manner, is re-thinking the move as it doesn’t want any confrontation with the security forces at a time when the militants have resurfaced in some of the areas in the Valley and infiltration from Pakistan-administered Kashmir is a real threat.
The sources said the state government’s attitude could be seen in Chief Minister Omar Abdullah’s speech in the state assembly Wednesday when he said that measures like the recall of the special powers and reduction of troops could be considered only when there is a “return of peace in the state”.
The central government too had advised the state to adopt a “wait and watch approach”, rather than push for the revocation of the AFSPA, they added.
The AFSPA was invoked in Jammu and Kashmir in 1990, soon after the outbreak of militancy.
- AFSPA shadow on Jammu Unified Command meet - Nov 04, 2011
- Kashmir cabinet meet on AFSPA postponed? - Nov 16, 2011
- Omar meets Antony on AFSPA ahead of state cabinet meet - Nov 13, 2011
- AFSPA revocation: Ball in Kashmir governor's court - Oct 25, 2011
- National Conference-Congress to meet - Oct 30, 2011
- Omar briefs cabinet on Delhi talks on AFSPA - Nov 24, 2011
- Chidambaram discusses AFSPA with Kashmir government (Second Lead) - Apr 10, 2012
- Removing AFSPA no reflection on army, says Omar - Oct 27, 2011
- Chidambaram in Jammu, Omar presses for AFSPA withdrawal - Apr 10, 2012
- Army chief rules out military cut in Kashmir - Jan 14, 2011
- 100 guerrillas waiting to sneak into Kashmir: Army - Dec 19, 2011
- Omar to raise repeal of AFSPA at CMs' meet - Apr 14, 2012
- Omar asks separatists to abjure violence (Lead) - Aug 15, 2012
- Time for AFSPA removal hasn't come: Omar - Aug 15, 2012
- Omar disagrees with army chief on special powers act - Jan 02, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,