Community kitchens abound en route Amarnath cave shrineJune 24th, 2008 - 4:20 pm ICT by ANI
Jammu, June 24 (ANI): Several community kitchens have constituted at various base camps along the arduous route that leads to the cave shrine at Amarnath in Jammu and Kashmir which serve food free of cost to pilgrims.
The community kitchens, known as “langars, have been organised by several non-government and religious organisations and private individuals.
“This year, so many pilgrims are visiting langars. I have not seen this kind of a rush ever before. Over eight to ten thousand pilgrims come to eat their meals here daily,” said Guruvar Lal Walia, one of the organisers of a community kitchen.
The pilgrims visiting the kitchens are all praise for the arrangements. Many even found the whole concept of community meals inspiring.
Pilgrims said that the arrangements made by the community kitchens are satisfactory enough and leave no scope for many to complain.
“I can’t say that that the government is making arrangements. These langars have made good arrangements. They are doing their best,” said Ritu, a devotee.
Some of the community kitchens have even doubled up as medical camps for the benefit of the pilgrims.
Over 200,000 pilgrims participate in the annual pilgrimage to the Amarnath cave shrine, every year. (ANI)
- Snow hits Amarnath Yatra preparations in Kashmir - Jun 14, 2012
- Now, a diet chart for Amarnath pilgrims - Jan 07, 2012
- Thick snow cover posing new risk to Amarnath pilgrims - Jun 22, 2012
- 16 Amarnath devotees killed as truck falls into gorge (Second Lead) - Jul 27, 2012
- Next year, fitness must for Amarnath pilgrims - Oct 22, 2011
- Three lakh pilgrims register for Amarnath Yatra - Jun 04, 2012
- Pilgrims cannot start Amarnath Yatra before June 25 - Jun 23, 2012
- Governor reviews Amarnath pilgrimage facilities - Jul 17, 2012
- BSNL offers mobile coverage to Amarnath pilgrims - Jun 23, 2011
- Chopper fares slashed for Amarnath pilgrims - Apr 04, 2012
- Annual Amarnath yatra begins (Lead) - Jun 24, 2012
- Differences sharpen between Amarnath board, religious groups - May 12, 2012
- Preparations for 2012 Amarnath pilgrimage begin - Oct 16, 2011
- Around 500,000 perform Amarnath Yatra - Jul 16, 2012
- Preparations for Amarnath pilgrimage begin - May 01, 2011
Tags: amarnath cave, base camps, community kitchen, community kitchens, community meals, devotee, jammu and kashmir, june 24, kashmir, lal, medical camps, organisers, pilgrimage, pilgrims, private individuals, religious organisations, rush, scope, ten thousand, walia