Combing operations in Orissa intensified to nab MaoistsApril 14th, 2009 - 4:55 pm ICT by ANI
Koratpur (Orissa), Apr 14 (ANI): With a view of preventing any further attacks by the Maoist rebels, Central forces on Tuesday intensified combing operations in Orissa’s Koratpur District.
On Sunday night, around 200 heavily armed Maoists had launched a daring attack on the National Aluminium Company’s (NALCO) bauxite mines in Koraput district.
The gunbattle between the ultras and the Central Industrial Security Force (CISF) personnel, which lasted for 10 hours, took the lives of 11 CISF men. Bodies of four Maoists, including a woman, were recovered.
The audacious attack, in which more than 100 mineworkers were taken hostage, has prompted the police force to initiate a joint operation to get rid of the Maoists in the area.
Director General of Police Manmohan Praharaj informed that the security forces have recovered huge reserve of explosives and arms looted by the Maoists during their raid on the Nalco.
According to sources, security personnel found a van containing explosives, which had been driven away and abandoned at an isolated place by the ultras.
Also, about 230 boxes containing explosives were recovered by the security forces after a severe exchange of fire with the fleeing ultras.
However, it is suspected that the Naxals have been successful in taking away some amount of the explosives. (ANI)
- Seven paramilitaries, four naxals killed in Orissa mine encounter - Apr 13, 2009
- Central Government reviews security at Orissa's NALCO mines - Apr 13, 2009
- 11 killed in Maoist attack in Orissa - Apr 13, 2009
- Maoist held for Nalco mine attack - Apr 26, 2009
- Nalco to miss alumina production target - Feb 23, 2011
- Orissa Police gun down nine Maoists in Rayagada encounter - Jan 09, 2011
- 14 killed in Maoist attack on Nalco mine in Orissa (Second lead) - Apr 13, 2009
- NALCO to expand capacity at Orissa unit - Apr 25, 2011
- 11 killed in Maoist attack at Orissa aluminium mine (Lead) - Apr 13, 2009
- Two guerrillas gunned down in Chhattisgarh - Aug 25, 2012
- Naxals strike Jharkhand, Bihar ahead of first phase of polling - Apr 22, 2009
- Security forces engage Maoists in gun battle after mine attack - Apr 14, 2009
- Two top Maoist cadres, including woman, arrested - Nov 10, 2010
- Maoists kill two CISF men at Chhattisgarh mining site - Nov 16, 2011
- Maoists attack CISF camp in Orissa - Apr 13, 2009
Tags: bauxite, central industrial security, daring attack, explosives, gunbattle, hostage, manmohan, maoist, maoist rebels, maoists, men bodies, mineworkers, nalco, national aluminium company, orissa, police force, security force, security forces, security personnel, ultras