Cold wave damages crop in Uttar Pradesh, worries farmersJanuary 12th, 2011 - 7:43 pm ICT by ANI
Lucknow, Jan 12 (ANI): The agricultural belt around Lucknow has been badly affected by the cold wave sweeping across the state.
Farmers said they feared heavy losses due to the cold weather that has damaged standing crops, and expressed worries about paying off their debts.
Most of the damaged crops include potatoes, tomatoes, and other winter-sown oilseed like mustard.
Vijayendra Yadav, a tomato grower, said: ” It has been damaged as the flowering won’t take place and the tomato bulbs would burst.”
“We people are facing a lot of damages especially to the crops of arhar (pigeon pea or yellow pulses), mustard, rai (Brassica juncea seeds), chickpea, matar (peas) and potatoes, etc. Wheat is the only crop that is benefiting from cold. This weather is not good for crops,” said Moolhe, another farmer.
Farmers in other parts of the country also fretted over crop damage due to winters.
About 600 million people of India’s billion-plus population rely on agriculture for their livelihood. (ANI)
- Himachal aims for 7.41 lakh tonne foodgrains - Jan 11, 2012
- Cold destroys tomato crop in Ranchi - Jan 17, 2011
- Incessant rains damage mustard crop in Kashmir - May 23, 2010
- In Bihar, the woes are not of farmers alone - Sep 21, 2010
- Uttarakhand to better farm livelihoods with UN loan - Feb 02, 2012
- Lower seed potato and tomato yield in Himachal due to rains - Oct 13, 2010
- Scanty rains to affect food production: Pawar - Jul 16, 2012
- Heavy downpour signals trouble for potato farmers - Feb 16, 2011
- Himachal to produce 7.2 lakh tonnes of foodgrains - Nov 30, 2009
- NAFED to distribute BARC-developed seeds - Mar 29, 2010
- Fickle weather can take juice out of litchi this season - Apr 29, 2012
- Bihar's potatoes to be exported to Russia - Aug 31, 2012
- Cold and fog hit life in Rajastan - Jan 07, 2011
- Snowfall brings respite to wheat crops in China (Lead) - Feb 11, 2011
- Fungal disease hits Himachal wheat crop - Mar 30, 2011
Tags: agricultural belt, brassica juncea, bulbs, cold wave, cold weather, crop damage, damages, debts, heavy losses, livelihood, lucknow, mustard, oilseed, pigeon pea, potatoes, standing crops, state farmers, tomato grower, vijayendra, wheat