Coir Board to open retail outletsFebruary 9th, 2008 - 8:02 pm ICT by admin
By Juhan Samuel
Kochi, Feb 9 (ANI): The Coir Board’s scheme to set up authorised retail outlets (AROs) of coir products across the country is expected to promote the welfare of workers in the coir sector.
Quality coir products will be made available for sale through the AROs.
Initially, outlets will be opened in Kerala. The scheme would then be extended across the country in a phased manner. Coir Board Chairman A C Jose would inaugurate the scheme here on Monday. Apart from promoting export market of coir and coir products, the Coir Board is giving emphasis for developing domestic market for coir products.
Jose said coir products intended for sale through the AROs would be procured from small-scale producers. “The initiative is expected to boost the domestic market for coir products in a big way and thereby enable the small-scale producers to get a steady market for their products,” Jose said, adding that this in turn would provide more remunerative and full-time employment to workers in the coir sector.
India exports coir and coir products to over 97 countries. The United States is the single largest importer for coir products with a share of more than 40 per cent.
Coir is exported in form of coir fibre, yarn, doormats, matting, rugs, carpets, coir rope, rubberised coir, pith-based products for agricultural operations, and soil erosion control materials. (ANI)
- Kerala coir products gain market share in Africa, Latin America - Feb 03, 2012
- Kerala's coir festival gets African participation - Jan 28, 2012
- Coir Festival rakes in Rs.100-crore business - Feb 06, 2012
- Kerala coir products for Japanese market - Sep 14, 2012
- Kerala to host India's largest coir expo - Jan 12, 2011
- Kerala wants defence ministry to buy coir geotextiles - Dec 13, 2011
- Just a doormat? This could be Guinness record holder (Lead) - Feb 04, 2010
- NAFED to market coconut products in India and abroad - May 26, 2010
- Delhi's Trade Fair opens doors for marketing for small-scale industries - Nov 17, 2010
- Goa to showcase contemporary handicrafts - Apr 28, 2011
- Government measures will help boost exports: Industry - Jun 05, 2012
- 'India can be world leader in handmade textiles' - Jan 05, 2012
- Government announces sops; eyes 20 percent exports growth - Jun 05, 2012
- Technical textile industry deserves tax sops: FICCI - Dec 26, 2010
- Textiles sector calls for stable growth policy - Jan 19, 2011
Tags: agricultural operations, board chairman, carpets, coir board, coir products, control materials, export market, fibre yarn, full time, india exports, kochi, largest importer, pith, retail outlets, rope, rugs, scale producers, soil erosion control, time employment, welfare