Coimbatore hosts Global India Textile ShowDecember 5th, 2010 - 2:54 pm ICT by ANI
Coimbatore, Dec 5 (ANI): The second edition of the Global India Textile Show (GITS) began in Coimbatore.
The two-day show has been organised to promote small entrepreneurs, by the Powerloom Development and Export Promotion Council (PDEXCIL).
The chairman of the organising committee of the Show, M S Mathivanan, said that the exhibition would provide global exposure to Indian entrepreneurs.
“This is the second edition. The manufacturers from all over India have exhibited fabrics here. By organising this export will increase and it will provide employment for Indian weavers particularly,” said Mathivanan.
He further expected that the show will bring around business of 10 billion dollars during 2011 and 10 percent of the business is likely to increase by this show.
The Ambassador of the Republic of Senegal, Moustapha Diouf, said this exhibition will strengthen the partnership between India and Senegal.
“We are in the process of recovering many of our textile industries having problem. That is the reason why we believe that India can be of great assistance. As an ambassador, I would like to take this opportunity to thank India for all the assistance given to my country and I believe that from the outcome of this meeting we can strengthen our partnership,” said Diouf.
The two-day event is supported by the Ministry of Textiles, under the market assistance initiative schemes of the Ministry of Commerce and Industry, with participation of representatives from about 35 to 40 countries, besides nearly 150 international buyers, buying agencies, importers and 200 exhibitors.
Turkey has sent the largest contingent of 21 participants.
The first edition of GITS was also held at Coimbatore in March 2010. (ANI)
- Global textile show to be held in Coimbatore - Nov 17, 2010
- Policy to promote textiles in northeast suggested - May 21, 2012
- Envoys of seven nations present credentials to President Patil - Sep 29, 2010
- President receives credentials from seven envoys - Sep 29, 2010
- India to host Africa Festival (With Image) - Jun 06, 2012
- Corporates told to give handlooms, handicraft products as gift items - Aug 13, 2012
- Indian business delegation to visit Ghana next week - Jul 05, 2012
- Artists pitch in for Bengal's 'tant' weavers - Sep 28, 2011
- Buenos Aires golf event showcases India's culture - Dec 15, 2011
- Slowdown in textile a concern: Minister - Dec 12, 2011
- Textile sector remains core to the Indian economy: Minister - Aug 26, 2011
- Exhibition to promote women weavers, heritage textiles - Feb 11, 2010
- Slovenia aims to double bilateral trade with India - Jun 19, 2012
- Rs.2,100 crore sanctioned for textiles parks - Oct 27, 2011
- 'Made in Pakistan Expo' in Mumbai - Aug 30, 2012
Tags: ambassador, billion dollars, contingent, exhibitors, export promotion council, fabrics, gits, global exposure, global india, importers, india textile, indian entrepreneurs, market assistance, ministry of commerce, moustapha diouf, organising committee, powerloom development, textile industries, textile show, weavers