Coimbatore civic authorities begins demolition driveNovember 14th, 2007 - 2:44 am ICT by admin
In order to avoid a similar mishap, the district administration has initiated a drive to demolish around 650 remaining old, dilapidated residential buildings in and around the city.
“We have advised the people to vacate. We’ve made temporary arrangements for them to have food etc. in corporation schools. They have to make alternative arrangements for accommodation during this short period. Government has sanctioned 200,000 rupees as compensation for those who died and 25,000 rupees for those injured and 5000 rupees as relocation allowance for people in Vincent Colony,” said Neeraj Mithal, District Collector, Coimbatore.
While the demolition of 352 buildings has begun, notices have been issued to the residents of another 298 houses belonging to the Tamil Nadu state housing board.
Twenty-four families with about 50 people lived in the building that collapsed, killing 13 and injuring several others.
Tight security arrangements were also made in view of the demolition drive in the area. (ANI)
- Violence breaks out Bhopal demolition drive, dozens injured (Lead) - May 21, 2011
- Violence in Bhopal demolition drive, dozens injured (Second Lead) - May 21, 2011
- Construction at Musharraf's ancestral house stirs row - May 16, 2012
- Pakistan building collapse toll reaches 10 - Apr 14, 2012
- Ghaziabad authority to demolish collapsed building - Jul 19, 2011
- Blame game in midst of building collapse tragedy - Nov 16, 2010
- One dead, 12 hurt in Pakistan building collapse - Mar 24, 2012
- Roof collapse in northern Pakistan kills 5, injures 3 - Sep 05, 2012
- Five dead in Pakistan building collapse - Apr 13, 2012
- Portion of Rajasthan University's science wing collapses - Jul 05, 2012
- Coimbatore building collapse survivors in a state of shock - Nov 14, 2007
- Shutdown hits life in Jharkhand, Medha Patkar booked - May 02, 2011
- Maoists invite displaced people to join cadre - Jun 29, 2011
- Congress playing demolition politics: BJP, JMM - Apr 06, 2011
- Building collapses in Chhattisgarh city, none hurt - Dec 14, 2010
Tags: alternative arrangements, belonging, civic authorities, coimbatore, demolition drive, dilapidated, district administration, heart of the city, heavy rain, housing board, mishap, relocation allowance, residential buildings, rupees, security arrangements, short period, tamil nadu state, tight security