Coimbatore building collapse survivors in a state of shockNovember 14th, 2007 - 2:34 am ICT by admin
Kurshid Begum, an eyewitness and a resident of the collapsed building said, she was still in a state shock.
“We were just removing our belongings, the building in which we lived came down like a pack of cards in front of our eyes. It is very difficult to emerge unscathed from such a shock,” she said.
The State Government of Tamil Nadu has announced a compensation of rupees 200, 000 to families of the dead and rupees 25,000 to the injured.
Authorities also issued an order that about 650 dilapidated houses in and around the city to be immediately vacated.
Clearing operations continued at the site amid intermittent downpour.
The last block of the 30-year old three-storeyed building located near Ukkadam (Kottaimedu) in the heart of the city, started collapsing around 6.00 p.m. on Friday. (ANI)
- One dead as Himachal building collapses - Jul 11, 2011
- Pakistan building collapse toll reaches 10 - Apr 14, 2012
- Five dead in Pakistan building collapse - Apr 13, 2012
- Four killed in house collapses in Rajasthan - Sep 05, 2011
- Woman, son die in Lucknow building collapse - Jul 24, 2012
- Himachal building collapse: Owner, builder held (Lead) - Jul 11, 2011
- One dead, 12 hurt in Pakistan building collapse - Mar 24, 2012
- Delhi building collapse: Victim's kin seek to rebuild lives - Sep 28, 2011
- Building collapses in Chhattisgarh city, none hurt - Dec 14, 2010
- Rescuers work with hope among mangled human remains - Nov 16, 2010
- Lahore factory collapse toll reaches 22 - Feb 09, 2012
- 16 trapped under collapsed building in Pakistan - Mar 23, 2012
- Coimbatore civic authorities begins demolition drive - Nov 14, 2007
- Five killed in Turkey building fire - Jan 23, 2012
- Bangalore blast injures nine, destroys two buildings - Sep 21, 2011
Tags: belongings, building collapse, coimbatore, collapsed building, dilapidated houses, downpour, government of tamil nadu, heart of the city, pack of cards, rupees, state government, state of shock, survivors, unscathed