Coconut farmers defy government ban on production of ”Toddy”January 28th, 2009 - 3:53 pm ICT by ANI
Coimbatore, Jan 28 (ANI): Coconut and palm growers spearheaded an agitation in Tamil Nadu demanding the State Government to lift a ban on production and sale of ”Toddy”, a traditional drink of the state.
”Toddy”, a local drink extracted from either a coconut tree or a Palm tree flower has been banned in the state since 1987 for being an alcoholic drink.
The farmers want the government to exempt toddy from the list of alcohol products banned in the State.
The farmers have now started tapping toddy and distributing it free of cost amongst the people.
They claim that Toddy, one of the food items in old times in Tamil Nadu, is quite nutritious and healthy.
“For the past 21 years toddy tapping is banned in Tamil Nadu and despite various request made by us to the government to allow tapping toddy, the government refused. But in Kerala and Karnataka tapping toddy and selling it is allowed. But we are not allowed to tap toddy. So now we have decided to tap defying the ban,” said Snethil Kumar, a coconut farmer.
They also claim that allowing Toddy tapping would also benefit hundreds of poor farmers since the state has some 45 million coconut trees.
Also the farmers lament that since the sale of coconut products has come down, Toddy tapping would aid them in enhancing their earnings.
Toddy is prepared by tying a clay pot over a blossoming coconut flower. A small hole is also made in front of the flower so that the white milk like juice from the flower is collected inside the pot.
The mouth of the pot is then covered with a cloth and left for some time. Fermentation starts in the pot and in a day or two, the drink is ready to be consumed. The farmers then sell this Toddy. (ANI)
- Tamil Nadu farmers' protest against ban on toddy tapping - May 27, 2010
- Karnataka to set up pilot plant to produce coconut juice - Jan 13, 2011
- Kerala officials to get extra bonus for hooch seizure - Sep 17, 2012
- Nine killed after drinking toddy in Kerala - Sep 06, 2010
- World Coconut Day: Kerala tries to stop production fall - Sep 02, 2012
- Toll in Kerala toddy tragedy rises to 17 (Lead) - Sep 06, 2010
- Kerala government says no to new liquor vends - May 27, 2011
- Coconut plucking could be monkey business in Kerala - Apr 29, 2012
- Kerala orders judicial probe into liquor deaths - Sep 08, 2010
- Toll in Kerala toddy tragedy rises to 23 - Sep 07, 2010
- Tender coconut water in tetra packs soon in Karnataka - Apr 14, 2011
- Chandy writes to Jayalalithaa on smuggling of tobacco products - Sep 05, 2012
- Karunanidhi to visit cyclone-hit areas Wednesday - Jan 03, 2012
- Fridge most important innovation in food history - Sep 14, 2012
- Kerala to have green houses, bio-parks - Jul 25, 2012
Tags: agitation, alcohol products, alcoholic drink, clay pot, coconut farmers, coconut products, coconut tree, coconut trees, coimbatore, fermentation, food items, government ban, jan 28, jehova, kerala, lament, list of alcohol, palm tree flower, poor farmers, toddy