Coastal command to be constituted to strengthen internal security: ChidambaramFebruary 9th, 2009 - 1:32 pm ICT by ANI
Kollam (Kerala), Feb 9 (ANI): Union Home Minister P. Chidambaram today said that a coastal command would be constituted soon to strengthen internal security.
Inaugurating the first coastal police station in Kollam district here, Chidambaram said, “The Central Government has ambitious plans to strengthen the national security measures along its coastal lines.”
The Minister further added that orders have already been issued by the government to finish the enumeration process in nine coastal states and union territories this year on a war footing.
He said that fisher folk would be given multi-purpose identity cards.
Kerala Home Minister Kodiyeri Balakrishnan chaired the function.
Kerala become the first state to establish coastal police stations in the wake of the Mumbai terror attacks.
Kerala was earlier sanctioned eight coastal police stations to strengthen security in coastal areas at an outlay of Rs.43.56 crore.
In addition to Neendakara, the other stations are at Vizhinjam, Fort Kochi, Thodapalli, Beypore, Azhikel, Bekel and Kodugallore.
For the Neendakara station, Indian Coast Guard (ICG) had provided training to 50 personnel from the Kerala Police. (ANI)
- Kerala to get first coastal police station on Feb. 9 - Feb 05, 2009
- Chidambaram to visit Kerala, Maharashtra on Monday - Feb 06, 2009
- Chidambaram to visit Kerala, Maharashtra today - Feb 09, 2009
- Kerala fishermen complain they were shot at - Mar 07, 2012
- 73 coastal police stations to be set up for enhancing security: Govt. - Feb 22, 2011
- We are watching the Sri Ram Sene: Chidambaram - Feb 09, 2009
- Third coast guard station in Andhra Pradesh opened - Jun 18, 2012
- Security at sea will be beefed up: Antony - Feb 26, 2012
- Significant progress made for coastal security of the country since 26/11: Chidambaram - Oct 27, 2010
- Kerala asks central government to protect coast - Feb 06, 2009
- Coastal security up after 26/11, says Chidambaram - Oct 27, 2010
- New Coast Guard station in Gujarat - Oct 02, 2010
- New Coast Guard station in Ratnagiri - Mar 25, 2011
- Coast Guard opens third station in Maharashtra - Mar 22, 2012
- Kerala to rope in fisherfolk as informers - Dec 19, 2008
Tags: ambitious plans, balakrishnan, bekel, beypore, coastal areas, coastal command, coastal lines, coastal states, crore, internal security, kerala police, kochi, kollam, outlay, police stations, security measures, terror attacks, union home minister, union territories, war footing