Coast guard acquires indigenous Offshore Patrol VesselJuly 5th, 2008 - 8:49 pm ICT by ANI
Vasco Da Gama (Goa), July 5 (ANI): The Goa Shipyard, considered one of the youngest among the defence shipyards, launched an indigenously designed Offshore Patrol Vessel for the Coast Guard on July 4.
Bharti Kumar, wife of Secretary (Defence Production), launched the vessel, Vishwasta at the Vasco Da Gama port. The vessel was designed in-house and built by the Goa Shipyard.
The 93.89 meters vessel is first of the new series of three Offshore Patrol vessels being built at Goa Shipyard Limited for Coast Guard.
The vessel is equipped with latest navigation and communication equipment automated by an Integrated Bridge System (IBS).
The induction of the vessel will upgrade the capabilities of the Coast Guard.
There are a variety of weapon systems and platforms that we are acquiring for Defence Forces. Be it the Maritime Reconnaissance Aircraft, new kinds of submarines, which are being built at Mazagon Docks Limited (MDL) or these Offshore Patrol Vehicles. We try to upgrade the capability of defence forces so that they can meet all kinds of challenges, said Pradeep Kumar, Secretary (Defence Production).
The new Offshore Patrol Vessel is also equipped for operating Advanced Light Helicopter (ALH) on board. It is also capable of external fire fighting and controlling pollution caused by oil spillage .
The vessel has been designed for patrolling and policing the maritime zone, conduct search and rescue operations, maritime surveillance and anti-smuggling operations. (ANI)
- Goa shipyard to build six patrol vessels for Coast Guard - May 09, 2012
- Goa shipyard to work out deal with Coast Guard: Official - Aug 30, 2010
- Warship building in India gets boost through public-private effort - Mar 04, 2012
- ICGS Rajtarang commissioned in Chennai - May 19, 2012
- Coastal security radar stations to be ready this year - Feb 15, 2012
- 'Warship delays not linked to Mazagon Docks upgrade' - Nov 23, 2011
- GRSE launches two patrol vessels for Coast Guard - Aug 06, 2012
- Antony commissions new generation Coast Guard vessel - Mar 17, 2010
- Coast Guard commissions pollution control vessel - Oct 09, 2010
- India to issue $11 bn tender for six more submarines - Feb 16, 2011
- Offshore patrol vessel joins Indian Coast Guard's Eastern Command fleet - May 20, 2010
- France transferring submarine technology to India - Jan 09, 2011
- Finland to design advanced icebreaker for Canada - Mar 02, 2012
- India inducts third indigenous stealth frigate - Jul 21, 2012
- India inducts third indigenous stealth frigate (Lead) - Jul 21, 2012
Tags: alh, bridge system, communication equipment, conduct search, defence forces, defence production, external fire, light helicopter, maritime reconnaissance aircraft, maritime surveillance, maritime zone, offshore patrol vessels, oil spillage, patrol vehicles, patrol vessel, pradeep kumar, rescue operations, shipyard, vasco da gama, weapon systems