Clashes in Indore following anti-hawking driveJune 10th, 2009 - 2:04 pm ICT by ANI
Indore (Bhopal) June 10 (ANI): Violence marred Indore as illegal hawkers and shopkeepers clashed with police during an eviction drive on Tuesday.
Violence broke out when the civic authorities reached the Etwaria market to drive away the illegal hawkers and shopkeepers.
Officials said the hawkers did not heed the warning issued by the district officials, which led to the outbreak of violence.
“The SDM (sub-divisional magistrate) warned them (hawkers) thrice to leave the place but the moment the warning was sent out, the hawkers started pelting stones on us and they (policemen) got injured in the process. Even the women were hitting us with stones and we were trying to control them. But still many women pelted stones on the officials,” said Inspector Rakesh Vyas, station house officer of the local police station.
Police baton charged the protesting shopkeepers to bring the situation under control.
The police arrested a few traders and hawkers and further investigations are continuing. (ANI)
- Sand mafia attacks cops, officials in Madhya Pradesh - Mar 10, 2012
- Bhopal survivors block rail tracks, call off stir (Lead) - Dec 03, 2011
- Three died in mob violence in Guwahati (Lead) - Jun 22, 2011
- Three school children among five killed in accident - Dec 25, 2011
- Bhopal survivors beaten back from rail blockade - Dec 03, 2011
- Two killed in road accident - Jan 30, 2011
- Sand mafia kingpin arrested - Mar 11, 2012
- Delhi sex workers challenge eviction order in court - Jul 26, 2012
- BJP MLA arrested in Rajasthan, granted bail - May 29, 2012
- Six injured in clash between locals and cops in Bikaner - Mar 19, 2012
- Officials, cops attacked by farmers in Agra (Lead) - Aug 17, 2010
- 20 injured as mob goes on rampage in Assam city - Jun 22, 2011
- Probe ordered in Assam's violent protests - Jun 23, 2011
- Farmers stir turns violent, top official shot (Lead) - May 07, 2011
- Curfew imposed in old Hyderabad - Apr 08, 2012
Tags: bhopal, civic authorities, clashes, district officials, house officer, illegal hawkers, investigations, magistrate, outbreak, police baton, police station, policemen, rakesh, situation under control, station house, violence, vyas