Civilian killed in Kashmir firingApril 24th, 2010 - 1:42 pm ICT by IANS
Srinagar, April 24 (IANS) A civilian was killed and five people were injured in a village in Jammu and Kashmir’s Shopian district when the army fired at suspected militants Saturday, police said.
Troops from the 53 Rashtriya Rifles laid an ambush near Chewan Keller village. “On noticing some movement, they opened fire, killing a civilian and wounding another,” a senior police officer told IANS.
As news about the killing spread, mobs took to streets shouting anti-India slogans. The protestors stoned passing army vehicles and torched two of them.
Soldiers escorting a convoy opened fire injuring four more villagers, one of them critically. The injured were taken to Srinagar for specialised treatment.
- Civilian killed in army firing, probe ordered (Lead) - Apr 24, 2010
- Two army vehicles torched in Kashmir - Apr 25, 2010
- Slain Kashmir youth was militant, reiterates army - Jul 26, 2012
- Three militants killed in Kashmir gunfight - Oct 14, 2010
- Two foreign guerrillas killed in Kashmir's Sopore (Second Lead) - May 27, 2011
- Antony orders probe into Kashmir youth's killing - Jul 26, 2012
- One soldier killed in Kashmir - Jul 07, 2012
- Two guerrillas killed in Kashmir gunfight - May 27, 2011
- Four guerrillas killed in Kashmir (Lead) - May 27, 2011
- Another teenager dies in Srinagar, toll 45 (Lead) - Aug 04, 2010
- Protest in Kashmir after young man killed in army firing - Feb 06, 2011
- Two more die in Srinagar, toll 46 (Second Lead) - Aug 04, 2010
- Hizbul guerrilla killed in Kashmir gunfight - Nov 17, 2011
- Protests after Kashmir civilian killed in army firing - Feb 05, 2011
- 25 including 11 cops wounded in fresh Kashmir violence (Lead) - Oct 19, 2010