CITU says Salboni landmine blast was an attempt to kill BuddhadebNovember 3rd, 2008 - 9:28 pm ICT by ANI
Kolkata, Nov 3 (ANI): The Centre of Indian Trade Unions (CITU) has claimed that the blast at Salboni was an attempt to kill West Bengal Chief Minister Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee as part of a design to stall industrial and development activities in the state.
Referring to the suspected Maoist attack on a convoy minutes after the chief minister had driven through the area in West Midnapore district on Sunday, CITU state General Secretary Kali Ghose said, “this is a sinister gameplan of anti-left and reactionary forces who have combined to stall all industrial and development activities in the state.”
Earlier in the day, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Union Home Minister Shivraj Patil telephoned Bhattacharjee who had a narrow escape when a landmine exploded within minutes of his convoy passing through Baroa near Salboni in West Midnapore district.
“The Prime Minister and Home Minister telephoned me today and wanted to know details about the incident,” the Chief Minister told reporters at Kolkata.
The government would send a report to the Home Ministry after receiving detailed information from Director-General of Police A B Vohra after his visit to the blast site.
The Chief Minister and Union Minister Ram Vilas Paswan on Sunday had a narrow escape when a landmine exploded within minutes of their convoy passing through Baroa near Kolkata in Maoist-infested West Midnapore district. (ANI)
Tags: bhattacharjee, chief minister, gameplan, home ministry, indian trade unions, landmine blast, manmohan, manmohan singh, maoist, midnapore district, narrow escape, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, ram vilas paswan, reactionary forces, union home minister, union minister, vilas, vohra, west bengal