Church in Chennai slowly sinking due to sea erosionJune 9th, 2009 - 2:36 pm ICT by ANI
Chennai, June 9 (ANI): Sea erosion along the famed Marina Beach at Chennai has resulted in damage to several residential structures in Srinivaspuram, built near the beach.
Over the past couple of weeks, the Church of Jesus Christ situated here has gradually sunk due to the erosion.
A major stretch of the Marina beach has been eaten up by sea erosion despite several counter measures taken in the last few years.
“The church here is 14 years old. When the church was built here, the sea was 1000 feet away. But in the last one month of sea erosion, the church has started sinking into the sea.
A lot of damage has been caused to the church. We need an alternative place for our worship and other services,” said Rev. J Jerald, Pastor, Miracle Church of Jesus Christ, Srinivaspuram.
Parishioners who pray at this church fear that erosion might cause the entire church to sink in the sea.
“For the last ten years, I have been worshipping here with my family. But now it is very sad to see that the church is slowly sinking into the sea. We will have to move our church to some other place now,” said Kavita, a churchgoer.
Apart from the church, there are around 40 houses, which have been affected by sea erosion.
These structures are severely damaged and the steps taken by the authorities seem to have yielded no results.
The 4.5 kilometres long Marina Beach is the second longest beach in the world, the first being the Miami Beach at Florida in the USA. (ANI)
- After temples, Goa church wants strict code for tourists - Jun 17, 2011
- Outrage over Oklahoma church's display of Jesus with penis - Apr 17, 2010
- Fugitive Catholic priest arrested in Tamil Nadu - Mar 17, 2012
- Goa church accused of tampering with heritage complex - Feb 12, 2011
- Goa to spend Rs.36 crore to battle sea erosion - Jul 25, 2012
- Meghalaya celebrates Easter - Apr 24, 2011
- Crystal Cathedral's senior pastor Sheila Schuller Coleman is all set to start a new church - Mar 12, 2012
- India celebrates X-mas with carols, joy, feasting (Roundup) - Dec 25, 2011
- Easter celebrated with prayers in northeast India - Apr 04, 2010
- Erosion threatens Goa's beaches, says minister - Aug 01, 2012
- Good Friday observed in Meghalaya - Apr 22, 2011
- Camel King Lula Bell Falls On Crowd During Church Nativity Play - Dec 12, 2010
- Good Friday observed with prayers and fast - Apr 22, 2011
- Bishop Kenneth Moales dies at the age of 65 years - Sep 22, 2010
- Nevada observes 25th Thanksgiving with Christian-Muslim-Hindu-Buddhist-Jewish-Baha'i prayers - Nov 26, 2010
Tags: 40 houses, authorities, chennai, church of jesus, church of jesus christ, counter measures, fear, jerald, last ten years, marina beach, miami beach, miracle church, parishioners, residential structures, sea erosion