Chinese teens getting hooked to cosmetic surgeryJuly 23rd, 2008 - 5:07 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, July 23 (ANI): With the whole world on a mission to look good, China s teenage kids are no far behind. According to a new Chinese research, a large number of middle school students are undergoing cosmetic surgery this summer vacation.
According to the local Nanfang Daily, doctors have warned that such procedures are extremely inadvisable for teens because these youngsters are still growing.
The newspaper also reported that young adults undergoing surgery to improve their looks in July, when they have more time to recover, was double that of a few months ago.
“Dozens of school children have come daily to our hospital since the beginning of July,” the China Daily quoted Chen Jianfei, a doctor at the Guangdong Armed Police Hospital plastic surgery center, as saying.
“The youngest case I have seen is a 13-year-old girl, Jianfei added.
Only a small proportion of young adults he has seen are congenitally malformed, Chen said.
They generally request cosmetic procedures, such as blepharoplasty (double eyelids), breast enlargements, and liposuction.
Newly graduated junior middle or high school students change their looks to give them confidence when entering new schools.
A young woman surnamed Hong said she thinks better looks will help her to be more socially competitive.
Meanwhile, more men, including schoolboys, are having cosmetic surgery than before.
The Guangzhou Modern Hospital plastic surgery center said that about 20 percent of people undergoing procedures there are men, compared with five percent a few years ago. (ANI)
- Boob job 'most popular cosmetic surgery procedure' - Mar 27, 2011
- More men going under the knife to look good - Mar 21, 2011
- Growing number of Malaysian men turning to cosmetic surgery - Aug 22, 2010
- Woman gets life's rudest shock after 200 surgeries - Mar 10, 2012
- Growing number of North American teens turning to cosmetic surgery - Jun 19, 2010
- Chinese students going under the knife for better job prospects - Jul 24, 2010
- Cosmetic eyelid surgery improves patients' quality of life - Oct 05, 2009
- Chinese youths go under knife eyeing better jobs - Jul 24, 2010
- Cosmetic surgery a booming business in China - Jan 17, 2011
- Argentine model dies after cosmetic surgery - Dec 01, 2009
- Meet the US woman who has spent $100K on 52 cosmetic procedures! - Apr 06, 2011
- More men in US undergoing plastic surgery to 'look good' - Mar 21, 2011
- First day, first show: Freshers spruce up with cosmetic treatments - Jul 21, 2012
- A Chinese couple that wants to resemble twins - Aug 24, 2012
- US teenagers get 12,000 botox jabs in a year - Aug 13, 2010
Tags: armed police, blepharoplasty, breast enlargements, china daily, chinese research, chinese teens, cosmetic procedures, cosmetic surgery, double eyelids, guangdong, high school students, middle school students, old girl, plastic surgery, plastic surgery center, police hospital, schoolboys, teenage kids, young adults, youngsters