China’s claim over Arunachal Pradesh is wrong: Dorjee KhanduDecember 1st, 2009 - 11:21 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Dec1 (ANI): Arunachal Pradesh Chief Minister Dorjee Khandu on Tuesday said that China is a “good neighbour”, but its claims over the State is “wrong”.
Addressing the media after releasing a report on Arunachal Pradesh’s development index in the national capital, Khandu said that the language and culture of the State’s people is shared with rest of India and that Arunachal Pradesh is an “integral” part of India.
“China’s consistent claim over Arunachal Pradesh, as I have said earlier, is baseless. We have three international frontier interfaces, 1,200 kilometres with China, 440 kilometres with Myanmar and 160 kilometres with Bhutan. China is our good neighbour, but its claim over territory of Arunachal Pradesh is wrong,” Khandu said.
“We (Arunachal Pradesh) have an international border with Tibet and China is a neighbour, but the territorial claim (over Arunachal Pradesh) it makes is wrong,” he added.
India and China have a long-standing border dispute and have made little progress in resolving it, despite several rounds of talks.
China lays claim to 90,000 sq kilometers of land on the eastern sector of the border. India disputes that and instead says that China occupies 38,000 square kilometres of territory in Aksai Chin plateau in the western Himalayas. (ANI)
- No threat from China, Arunachal border peaceful: Dorjee Khandu - Nov 10, 2010
- India for freedom of navigation in South China Sea - Aug 30, 2012
- 'India, China must live as good neighbours' - Jul 05, 2012
- Indian lawmaker says strategic Arunachal deserves Delhi sops - Mar 13, 2011
- India to focus on positives with China - Nov 14, 2009
- Take China's help, track Dorjee's helicopter, say residents - May 03, 2011
- China obstructs road construction in Ladakh - Nov 30, 2009
- India keeping close watch on China's border activities - Dec 01, 2011
- India will find facts in China's objections to road construction in Ladakh: Raju - Dec 01, 2009
- India quietly activates airstrip near Chinese border - Apr 27, 2011
- Arunachal lawmakers slam Beijing for attacking PM visit - Oct 13, 2009
- Arunachal students meet PM over China issuing stapled visa - Feb 02, 2011
- Chinese incursion taking centre stage in Arunachal polls - Sep 21, 2009
- Arunachal saddened over untimely demise of Chief Minister Khandu - May 04, 2011
- India protests US depiction of Kashmir as Pakistani territory - Nov 21, 2011
Tags: arunachal pradesh, bhutan, border dispute, chief minister, development index, eastern sector, frontier, good neighbour, india china, international border, language and culture, myanmar, New Delhi, plateau, sq kilometers, square kilometres, territorial claim, tibet, western himalayas