China train mishap, a case of human errorApril 28th, 2008 - 4:01 pm ICT by admin
New Delhi, Apr.28 (ANI): A train collision in east China that killed at least 66 people early today was caused by human error and terrorism had been ruled out.
The official Xinhua news agency did not elaborate on the error behind the accident, which also injured about 250 and was the worst to hit China’s railways in more than a decade.
Authorities have ruled out that the accident was caused by an act of terror, Xinhua said.
The trains collided on a main railway route in Zibo, in East China’s Shandong Province at 4.43 a.m., Xinhua reported.
About 10 carriages toppled into a ditch, a witness told Xinhua on condition of anonymity.
The derailed train hit train 5034, which ran from Shandong’s Yantai city to Xuzhou in the eastern Jiangsu Province, a spokesman with the Shandong provincial government confirmed.
Medical workers who are at the site for rescue work said heavy casualties were reported from both trains, but it was hard to make an immediate headcount.
The accident occurred in Hejiacun village, sandwiched between Zhoucun district and Wangcun railway station in the suburbs of Zibo, and about 70 kilometers east of the provincial capital Jinan.
The accident has disrupted two-way traffic on the Jinan-Qingdao Railway, a pivotal provincial rail link. (ANI)
- Dozens killed, injured as trains collide in China - Apr 28, 2008
- 43 killed, 247 injured in China train collision - Apr 28, 2008
- 12 Chinese kids killed as school bus overturns - Dec 12, 2011
- China train collision toll mounts to 70 (Second lead) - Apr 28, 2008
- At least 66 killed in China train collision (Lead) - Apr 28, 2008
- 1.3 mn evacuated as Muifa brushes past China (Second Lead) - Aug 09, 2011
- Five dead in China building fire - Apr 22, 2012
- China to take measures to preserve Great Wall's oldest section - Apr 25, 2010
- China exports 120 trains to Sri Lanka - Jul 19, 2012
- Millions facing water shortage in China - Jan 29, 2011
- Chinese gets jail term for Internet pornography - Feb 17, 2012
- China launches first book on marine life - Aug 30, 2011
- 14 ill as gas leaks in Chinese plant - Feb 23, 2012
- 24 injured in China train accident - Aug 24, 2012
- Kobe, LeBron to tour China after Olympics - Aug 11, 2012
Tags: act of terror, anonymity, carriages, ditch, east china, headcount, human error, jiangsu province, medical workers, provincial capital, provincial government, railway route, railway station, railways, shandong province, train collision, train mishap, xinhua news agency, yantai, zibo