China to build first inland nuclear plant in HubeiDecember 8th, 2008 - 11:17 am ICT by ANI
Beijing, Dec.8 (ANI): China has announced plans to construct its first inland nuclear plant in the central province of Hubei.
The cost of the first two phases of the project, with an installed capacity of 4 million kilowatt is estimated at 50 billion Yuan (7.3 billion dollars). The third phase could cost 45 billion Yuan, the official news agency Xinhua reports.
The construction of the plant is expected to start after an environmental assessment report is approved.
The China Guangdong Nuclear Power Group (CGNPG) and the Hubei provincial government agreed in March to jointly build the plant. CGNPG and Hubei Energy Group established a joint venture, known as Hubei Nuclear Power Ltd. Co., in June to develop nuclear power in the province.
Local authorities have relocated residents from the land designated for the plant in Xianning City, and completed road construction for the project, an official from the city’’s planning commission said.
China has 11 nuclear plants at six sites, all on the east coast, with a combined installed capacity of 9.07 million kilowatt. The capacity of the CGNPG project is equivalent to 43.5 percent of the total.
Faced with an energy crunch resulting from fast economic growth, China plans to develop more nuclear power. The country plans to have 40 million kilowatt of installed nuclear capacity by 2020, which would be four percent of projected energy supply, or double the current level. (ANI)
- China to face power shortage - Feb 27, 2012
- China can guarantee nuclear power plants safety: official - Mar 27, 2011
- China's n-power developers seek equity investors - Jul 30, 2011
- China to construct 10 nuclear reactors using 'AP1000' third-generation technology - Jul 06, 2010
- China to build large offshore wind farm - Jan 14, 2012
- World's first 660 KV power cable in China - Feb 28, 2011
- China may approve new nuclear plants - Apr 22, 2011
- China to monitor radiation in water around n-plants - Jan 18, 2012
- China begins construction of new nuclear power plant - Apr 26, 2010
- China to build seventh nuclear plant - Mar 04, 2008
- China builds third generation nuclear reactors - Apr 20, 2009
- No move to derail nuke power development plans, says China - Mar 26, 2011
- Chinese nuke power to rise 10-fold by 2020 - Jul 02, 2009
- China expands its oldest n-plant - Apr 09, 2012
- US-China to build world's largest solar plant - Jan 06, 2011
Tags: central province, china guangdong, economic growth china, energy crunch, energy group, energy supply, environmental assessment report, hubei, kilowatt, local authorities, nuclear capacity, nuclear plant, nuclear plants, nuclear power, official news, power group, power ltd, provincial government, road construction, xinhua