China opposes Sarkozy’’s meeting with Dalai LamaNovember 15th, 2008 - 6:30 pm ICT by ANI
Beijing, Nov.15 (ANI): China has expressed resolute opposition to a meeting between the Dalai Lama and French President Nicolas Sarkozy in Poland planned for next month.
Sarkozy, whose country holds the EU’’s six-month-rotating presidency, will meet the Dalai Lama on December 6 while attending activities to celebrate the 25th anniversary of the awarding of the Nobel Peace Prize to former Polish President Lech Walesa.
“We oppose firmly the Dalai Lama’’s secessionist activities in any country under any identity, and we are also firmly against any foreign leader’’s contacts with the Dalai Lama in any form,” Xinhua quoted Foreign Ministry spokesman Qin Gang as saying in a press release.
The spokesman urged the French side to adhere to the one-China policy, honor its commitment, pay attention to China’’s great concern and prudently handle Tibet-related issues with an eye to the overall situation, so as to promote the healthy and stable development of Sino-French and Sino-European ties. (ANI)
- China protests Danish meetings with Dalai Lama - May 30, 2009
- China condemns French honor for Dalai Lama - Jun 10, 2009
- US confirms Dalai-Obama meet, China says scrap it (Lead) - Feb 12, 2010
- China warns US on exploiting Tibet issue - Jan 12, 2012
- Chinese groups oppose Paris mayor's plan to honor Dalai Lama - Jun 03, 2009
- Don't hold Dalai Lama-Obama meeting, China tells US - Feb 12, 2010
- Dalai Lama's visit to Paris may affect Sino-French ties - May 05, 2009
- Lech Walesa wishes success to Mitt Romney - Jul 31, 2012
- Italy meeting of Dalai Lama draws China ire - Nov 20, 2009
- Obama to meet Dalai Lama on Feb 18 despite China's opposition - Feb 12, 2010
- Dalai Lama's French 'honor' nothing more than political stunt: Chinese experts - Jun 09, 2009
- China summons US ambassador over Obama-Dalai Lama meeting (Lead) - Feb 19, 2010
- Dalai Lama to get honorary citizenship of Warsaw - Jul 23, 2009
- China critical of Dalai Lama, French officials meeting (Lead) - Aug 20, 2008
- China wants US to cancel Barack Obama & Dalai Lama's meeting - Feb 15, 2010
Tags: 25th anniversary, beijing, china policy, dalai lama, foreign ministry spokesman, french president nicolas, french president nicolas sarkozy, french side, nicolas sarkozy, nobel peace prize, polish president lech, presidency, president lech walesa, president nicolas sarkozy, Press Release, resolute opposition, secessionist, stable development, tibet, xinhua