China building giant dam to protect dinosaur fossilsNovember 14th, 2007 - 2:41 am ICT by admin
So far, thousands of dinosaur fossil bones have been unearthed from the mountain and assembled into 13 dinosaur skeletons, which are now exhibited in several museums nationwide, reports Xinhua.
Archaeologists believe there are enough fossil bones buried in the mountain to put together at least 100 more dinosaur skeletons. Every summer, rising waters and strong currents erode parts of the mountain, leaving dinosaur fossils exposed. Many fossils have been washed away in the past.
So the Land and Resources Department of Heilongjiang Province ordered the building of a 1,450-meter-long embankment on the Chinese bank of the river to stop the fossils being washed away.
Building the embankment has been hard, with workers battling cold and long winters at a high altitude in China’s cold northernmost province. Rising water levels in the summer also limit construction times, and it has taken workers three years to complete the 1,450-meter-long, 5.5-meter-high and 10-meter wide embankment around the dinosaur fossil site.
Dinosaur Mountain, which used to be called Mountain of Dinosaur Bones, is inside Jiayin Dinosaur National Geologic Park at Jiayin County. (ANI)
- Enjoy nature on China's Chengdu-Kunming railway - Dec 26, 2010
- Chinese paleontologists discover large feathered dinosaur - Apr 06, 2012
- Skin bones helped huge dinos survive - Nov 30, 2011
- At least 475 houses submerged by flooding in Bali - Feb 24, 2011
- Fossils of bird-like dinosaurs discovered in Australia - May 18, 2012
- 190 mn-year-old dinosaur fossils found in Argentina - Jan 10, 2010
- 88 killed in North Korea floods - Jul 29, 2012
- Europe's biggest dinosaur skull found in Spain - Apr 04, 2012
- Fossil skeleton of prehistoric penguin reconstructed - Mar 01, 2012
- 190-mn-yr old 'world's oldest' dino embryos discovered in South Africa - Nov 11, 2010
- China to have dinosaur museum - Jun 28, 2011
- 103mn-yr-old first horned dino identified in South Korea - Dec 07, 2010
- New dinosaur species found in China - Mar 20, 2010
- China completes tunnel under Yellow river - Jan 09, 2012
- 190mn yrs old dinosaur eggs offer insights into infancy and growth - Nov 14, 2010
Tags: china building, chinese bank, construction times, dinosaur bones, dinosaur fossil, dinosaur fossils, dinosaur mountain, dinosaur skeletons, embankment, fossil bones, geologic park, heilongjiang province, national geologic, northernmost province, rising water, strong currents, xinhua