Chill continues in Kashmir, snow and rain likelyJanuary 28th, 2011 - 2:20 pm ICT by IANS
Srinagar, Jan 28 (IANS) The biting cold continued in the Kashmir Valley Friday with Srinagar at a low of minus 3.2 degrees Celsius and Leh freezing at minus 18.6 degrees. The weatherman has predicted light rain and snowfall across the Valley. Pahalgam in south Kashmir recorded minus 8.1 degrees Celsius and north Kashmir’s Gulmarg ski resort recorded minus 8.5 degrees while Srinagar was minus 3.2 degrees, one degree below normal, an official at the weather office here said.
Light rain and snowfall is expected across the Kashmir Valley by Saturday because of western disturbances, the official added.
While Leh town in Ladakh region was minus 18.6 degrees, Kargil was also bone chilling cold at minus 10.8 degrees Celsius. Winter capital Jammu was 6.7 degrees Celsius, two degrees below the average for this time of the season.
The Srinagar-Jammu highway was open to one-way traffic from Srinagar to Jammu. No vehicle will be allowed to move in the opposite direction due to slippery conditions on the road in the Banihal sector of the over 300-km highway, traffic officials said.
- Leh in deep freeze at minus 20 degrees, Srinagar at minus 4.6 - Jan 24, 2011
- North India reels under severe cold, dense fog (Roundup) - Jan 20, 2012
- Severe cold wave in Kashmir - Jan 18, 2012
- Freezing winter continues in Kashmir Valley - Jan 23, 2011
- Snowfall in north Kashmir, Ladakh continues to freeze - Jan 09, 2011
- Srinagar's night temperature rises above freezing point - Feb 03, 2012
- Snowy day forecast in Kashmir Valley, mountains - Dec 19, 2011
- Kashmir Valley in cold grip, Leh minus 11.4 - Jan 22, 2011
- Fresh snowfall closes Srinagar-Jammu highway - Jan 30, 2011
- Chilly winds add to bitter cold in Kashmir - Jan 17, 2011
- Srinagar shivers, rain and snow likely in Kashmir - Jan 21, 2011
- Snowfall again closes Srinagar-Jammu highway (With Images) - Jan 19, 2012
- Fresh snowfall closes Srinagar-Jammu highway - Apr 05, 2011
- Srinagar has coldest night in 16 years - Jan 14, 2012
- Cold Wave continues unabated across North India (Roundup) - Jan 09, 2012
Tags: bone chilling cold, chill, gulmarg ski resort, highway traffic, jammu, jan 28, kashmir, kashmir valley, light rain, north kashmir, pahalgam, slippery conditions, snowfall, time of the season, traffic officials, weather office, weatherman, winter capital