Child prodigy earns praise for her tailoring skillsNovember 14th, 2007 - 2:04 am ICT by admin
Youngest of five of her siblings, Sheelu, a student of Lower Kindergarten, had to take up the job to support her family. Today, she teaches tailoring to girls quite older to her for two hours daily.
She learnt the skills from her mother Asha when she used to teach tailoring-skills to others at their tailoring-centre.
“My mother used to teach other girls and that’s how I picked up tailoring. I can make blouse, petticoat, under garments, simple frock, umbrella frock, pyjamas, pant, and shirt,” said Sheelu.
It’s been one year since Sheelu has been teaching.
Asha, Sheelu’s mother, says she is so happy that her daughter picked up tailoring skills at such a young age.
“When I was unwell, I was worried how would I run my tailoring-centre. At that time she (Sheelu) said she would do it. I asked her how you will do it. She said I have learnt all and can sew anything. I asked her to show and she made a cutting on the paper,” said Asha.
Sheelu’s students say that they have complete faith in her and they don’t mind learning the skills of tailoring from a child.
“When I came here for first time I asked auntie (Sheelu’s mother Asha) for tailoring skills. But she was not keeping on well and there was no one to handle teaching. At that time Sheelu (the kid) said she would teach me,” said Suman Pandey, Sheelu’s student.
Sheelu, at present, teaches twenty four girls in the age group of 12 to 42 at the tailoring center. And, she charges rupees 50 per student besides the enrollment fees of rupees sixty five. (ANI)
- Mom's tailor style to match children's steps (Mother's Day is on May 8) - May 06, 2011
- Will Indian women's cricket team get its first Keralite? - Feb 01, 2012
- Mujhe Aunty Mat Kehna! - Farah Khan - May 19, 2010
- At 83, Shammi Aunty frail, hard of hearing, but invincible - Aug 29, 2012
- 'B' for bomb, 'ch' for chaku...in UP school books - Apr 26, 2012
- British teacher charged with having sex chats with pupils - Dec 04, 2010
- Salsa, Latino edging out Indian classical dances in Bollywood? - Jan 05, 2011
- Beyonce to open dance school - Aug 22, 2011
- An 'untouchable' sarpanch, she touches many lives (Feature) - Apr 26, 2012
- AHMED KHAN - A CHOREOGRAPHER PAR EXCELLENCE - Sep 06, 2010
- Helping slum children dream big - and go to college (Feature) - Nov 21, 2010
- Playing Asha Bhonsle's daughter is a privilege: Padmini - Mar 27, 2011
- Indian girl, 6, is world's youngest yoga trainer! - Dec 28, 2010
- British school bans hugs, handshakes - May 27, 2011
- Jilted wife goes berserk against rival's mother - Aug 01, 2012