Chidambaram says RBI to release Rs 25,000cr for banks immediatelyOctober 15th, 2008 - 8:11 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Oct 15 (ANI): Finance Minister P Chidambaram has announced that the Reserve Bank of India will immediately release Rs 25,000 crore to commercial banks, cooperative banks and RRBs under the farm loan waiver scheme.
He also announced doubling of the investment limit to six billion dollars for foreign institutional investors in corporate bonds.
The series of announcements came on a day when stock markets tanked, with the benchmark Sensex losing 674 points, reversing the two-day winning streak.
Chidambaram, who along with RBI Governor had briefed the Prime Minister last night on the measures taken so far while exploring the other options, said the measures so far have helped improve liquidity and it has been felt that more steps are needed.
“The government also decided to provide banks access to finance for raising their capital adequacy ratio to 12 per cent by a suitable date in the future from the current level of 10-12 per cent,” Chidambaram told reporters here.
Identifying liquidity as the main problem, which has constrained the financial system, the government also decided that RBI would immediately release to lending institutions the first instalment against their outgo on farm debt waiver scheme.
RBI will provide Rs 7,500 crore to commercial banks and Rs 17,500 crore to NABARD as the first instalment against the payment towards debt relief scheme. (ANI)
- Cabinet nod for continuing farmers' loan scheme - Sep 06, 2012
- Reliance Mutual bets big on retail investors - Oct 02, 2011
- Banks to be get Rs.250 bn against farm loan waiver (Lead) - Aug 27, 2008
- India's central bank frees more money for credit (Lead) - Mar 09, 2012
- Public sector banks to disburse Rs.6 lakh crore farm loans: Chidambaram - Aug 25, 2012
- India releases Rs.250 bn more to improve liquidity (Roundup) - Oct 15, 2008
- Tripura Gramin Bank posts profit for 10th year in row - Dec 22, 2010
- Nabard estimates Rs.41,085 crore credit flow in Karnataka - Dec 21, 2010
- UCO Bank might get capital infusion of Rs.2 billion - Feb 01, 2012
- Prominent highlights of 2012-13 budget - Mar 16, 2012
- Pranab earmarks Rs.1,37,674 crore for social sector - Feb 26, 2010
- Budget highlights 8 - Mar 16, 2012
- Budget highlights 7 - Mar 16, 2012
- Public sector bank's non-performing assets not alarming: FM (Roundup) - Aug 18, 2012
- Budget highlights 4 - Mar 16, 2012
Tags: bank of india, capital adequacy ratio, commercial banks, cooperative banks, corporate bonds, crore, debt relief scheme, debt waiver, farm debt, farm loan, finance minister, foreign institutional investors, instalment, investment limit, lending institutions, liquidity, reserve bank of india, six billion, stock markets, winning streak