Chidambaram says govt. to consider Afzal Guru’s mercy petitionMay 25th, 2009 - 10:37 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, May 25 (ANI): Union Home Minister P Chidambaram today said that the UPA Government has decided to take a decision whether to accept or reject the mercy petitions of Parliament attack convict Afzal Guru and 27 other prisoners on death row.
Chidambaram indicated that Afzal’s petition would be taken up after similar pleas by 21 others who are listed in sequence before him.
He told reporters: “There are 28 cases on death row. I have asked the Home Secretary to take up those cases in order in which they appear on that list and to ensure that a decision is taken whether the mercy petition should be accepted or rejected. We will advise the President accordingly.”
“The home secretary will now take up the first case and follow it through and we will go down in that order,” Chidambaram said.
The Home Minister added that they (officers) will update him on each case one by one. (ANI)
- Sequence being followed on mercy pleas, says Congress - May 27, 2011
- President rejects mercy plea of Khalistan terrorist on death row (Second Lead) - May 27, 2011
- Afzal Guru's mercy petition not yet sent to president - Feb 23, 2011
- Mercy plea of Khalistan terrorist on death row rejected (Lead) - May 26, 2011
- Apex court seeks details of mercy pleas decided in 2011 (Lead) - Apr 10, 2012
- Government forwards Afzal Guru mercy plea to president - Aug 10, 2011
- Government rejects Afzal Guru's clemency (Lead) - Aug 10, 2011
- No decision on Guru mercy, family leaves it to Allah (Lead) - Jun 23, 2010
- Delaying Afzal Guru's execution is vote bank politics: BJP - May 27, 2011
- President's decision awaited on Afzal Guru mercy plea: Chidambaram - Dec 13, 2010
- Delay on Bhullar's mercy plea no cruelty, apex court told - Oct 19, 2011
- President should reject Afzal's mercy plea: BJP - Jun 23, 2010
- President asked to reject Guru's mercy plea - Jun 23, 2010
- Mirwaiz warns of serious fallout if Afzal is hanged - Aug 12, 2011
- We've left it to Allah: Afzal Guru's family - Jun 23, 2010