Chidambaram says, Direct Taxes Board inquiring into leak of Niira Radia tapesNovember 30th, 2010 - 8:12 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Nov. 30 (ANI): Home Minister P. Chidambaram said
on Tuesday the Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT) is inquiring into alleged
leak of tapes of telephone conversations between London-based lobbyist Niira
Radia and politicians, journalists and industrialists.
Interacting with mediapersons at a press conference here,
Chidambaram said: “We have not ordered an inquiry. The CBDT is inquiring into
the matter. It was the CBDT which had ordered the interceptions and it is
looking into the alleged leakage of the tapes.”
The CBDT had conducted the phone tappings over a period of
time for which the Ministry gave the sanction, sources said.
Lawyer Prashant Bhushan, who has filed a public interest
litigation seeking the prosecution of former Telecom Minister A Raja, said he
would robustly contest Ratan Tata’s move to seek an injunction against the
release of the tapes.
“We are seriously considering filing an application in the
SC to ensure there is no injunction against these tapes and these recordings
are put out in the public domain,” Bhushan said.
The tapes had come into the public domain recently after
certain media groups published transcripts of the same.
As per the CBI, which is probing the alleged 2G spectrum
scam, it was examining transcripts relating to 5,000 calls.
Nearly 104 tapping records are out in the market, sources
- Home Ministry asks IB, CBDT to probe Radia tape leakages - Nov 29, 2010
- Radia tapes' leak: Government trying to track source - Feb 01, 2011
- Make transcripts of 5,800 Radia tapes: Apex court (Lead) - Sep 06, 2012
- Source of Radia tapes' leak unknown, court told (Lead) - Aug 23, 2012
- Prepare Radia transcripts, apex court tells I-T department - Sep 06, 2012
- Government orders probe into Radia tape leaks - Nov 30, 2010
- Radia tapes: Rights group to oppose Tata's plea against publication - Dec 12, 2010
- Spell out steps to plug leakage of phone taps: SC - Aug 28, 2012
- Supreme Court to hear Ratan Tata plea to stop Radia tapes - Apr 01, 2011
- Ratan Tata moves court against publication on Radia tapes (Lead) - Nov 29, 2010
- Tata seeks report on leaked Radia tapes (Lead) - Feb 02, 2012
- Source of Radia tapes' leak unknown, court told - Aug 23, 2012
- Leaked Radia tapes doctored, apex court told (Lead) - Jan 31, 2012
- Supreme Court issues notice to Centre on Radia tapes - Jan 24, 2011
- 2G scam: Tata, Radia appear before PAC - Apr 04, 2011
Tags: 2g, bhushan, cbdt, cbi, direct taxes, home minister, industrialists, injunction against, lobbyist, market sources, media groups, New Delhi, prosecution, public domain, public interest litigation, raja, ratan tata, sanction, tapping, telephone conversations