Chidambaram reviews security in KashmirMay 23rd, 2012 - 9:02 pm ICT by IANS
Srinagar, May 23 (IANS) Home Minister P. Chidambaram and Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah Wednesday reviewed the law and order situation in the state.
The minister was on a day’s visit to the Kashmir Valley and the border region of Kargil.
“Various issues related to the overall security and law and order were discussed in detail,” a government statement said.
Earlier, Chidambaram and Abdullah flew to Kargil where they inaugurated a Jashn-e-Kashmir workshop to train school students in folk culture and art.
In his speech, Abdullah pushed the central government for an early launch of the all-weather Zojila tunnel to connect Ladakh with the rest of India.
He also sought the installation of the Srinagar-Leh transmission line, improvement in telephone services and early completion of a civil airport in Kargil.
- Kargil residents demand construction of Zojila Pass tunnel - Jul 17, 2010
- Fresh snowfall in Ladakh, rain in Kashmir - Mar 26, 2012
- J-K Govt. abolishes toll tax on Srinagar Highway to boost tourism - May 02, 2011
- Kashmir braces for rain, snow - Nov 08, 2011
- Air services to Kargil set to take off - Jul 25, 2011
- Stray incident apart, Eid prayers offered peacefully in Kashmir - Aug 20, 2012
- Kashmir's Sonamarg reopens after winter - Apr 02, 2012
- Srinagar-Leh highway to open tomorrow - May 01, 2011
- Chidambaram to visit Kashmir for two days - Oct 30, 2010
- 80 dead, 300 injured in flash floods in Leh - Aug 06, 2010
- 103 dead, 370 injured in flash floods in Leh - Aug 06, 2010
- President Patil visits flood-ravaged Leh, promises timely help from armed forces, govt. - Sep 01, 2010
- Manali-Leh road link may be used round-the-year - Jun 26, 2010
- Chidambaram in Kashmir Valley; to review security, meet people (Lead) - Oct 31, 2010
- Omar in Baramulla to assess fallout of CISF firing - Jan 03, 2012
Tags: border region, central government, folk culture, government statement, home minister, India, jammu and kashmir, kashmir, kashmir chief minister, kashmir valley, launch, law and order, p chidambaram, school students, srinagar, telephone services, transmission line, weather