Chidambaram reviews security arrangements for Commonwealth Games

September 1st, 2010 - 7:07 pm ICT by ANI  

New Delhi, Sep 1 (ANI): Union Home Minister P Chidambaram, who reviewed the security measures for the 2010 Commonwealth Games on Wednesday said security overlays for the Games will be completed by September 15.

Union Home Secretary G K Pillai, Delhi Police Commissioner Yudhbir Singh Dadwal and senior officials from Intelligence agencies and National Security Guards briefed him about the measures for the upcoming event.

According to the security plan, athletes, officials and guests can visit the Jawaharlal Nehru stadium only by bus and no VIPs, except the heads of state, will be allowed to take their cars in. Parking arrangement has been made for 150 buses at Jawaharlal Nehru stadium.

Earlier on Monday, Dadwal said the Delhi police is fully prepared and positioned for the Commonwealth Games.

It was earlier reported that over a thousand armed forces personnel from specialised units are likely to be deployed for the upcoming mega-event.

There are reports that chemical, biological, radiological, and nuclear (CBRN) teams of the Army will also be deployed for the mega-event.

The 2010 Commonwealth Games is India’s biggest sporting event since the 1982 Asian Games.

India is expecting about two million tourists in New Delhi for the Games, as well as about 10,000 athletes from 71 teams representing 54 Commonwealth member states. (ANI)

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Posted in National |

Subscribe