Chidambaram reviews law and order situation in ManipurFebruary 3rd, 2009 - 2:06 pm ICT by ANI
Imphal, Feb 3 (ANI): Union Home Minister P. Chidambaram on Tuesday morning reviewed the overall law and order situation in Manipur.
Chidambaram was accompanied by State Chief Minister Okram Ibobi Singh and security officials.
He held a security review meeting at the State secretariat with Ibobi Singh and other senior officials in view of the intensified counter insurgency operation in the state.
This was Chidambaram’’s second visit to the northeast after taking charge as Union Home Minister. He first visited Assam on New Year Day after three serial blasts in Guwahati rocked the State.
The latest trip holds significance considering the Centre’’s growing concern over insurgent activities in the northeast parts of the country.
Manipur has witnessed repeated violence by nearly a dozen militant groups in the recent past claiming several lives.
The state, bordering Myanmar, has seen a number of kidnapping cases and peddling of drugs which find their way easily from across the porous border. (ANI)
- Four serial blasts in Manipur, two injured (Lead) - Aug 15, 2012
- Chidambaram to review law and order in Tripura, Mizoram - May 16, 2011
- Union Home Minister P. Chidambaram to visit Manipur, Nagaland on Tuesday - Feb 02, 2009
- India-Myanmar to jointly fight northeast rebels - Feb 28, 2010
- Five people killed in Manipur blast - Aug 01, 2011
- Northeast states want tighter border vigil - Apr 17, 2012
- Curb anti-India terror groups, Myanmar told - Jan 24, 2012
- Northeast borders need priority in security, say chief ministers - Feb 02, 2011
- Northeastern states hail PAP withdrawal - Jan 08, 2011
- Five killed, 20 injured in Manipur blast (Lead) - Aug 01, 2011
- Govt. wont tolerate ceasefire violation by Naga groups: Chidambaram - Feb 03, 2009
- Chidambaram to visit blockade-hit Manipur - Oct 29, 2011
- Total blockade in parts of Manipur, life badly affected - Nov 04, 2011
- Northeast chief ministers urge stricter vigil along borders - Feb 08, 2010
- Protests hit life in Manipur - Aug 21, 2011
Tags: assam, chief minister, counter insurgency, growing concern, imphal, kidnapping cases, law and order, manipur, militant groups, myanmar, p chidambaram, secretariat, security officials, security review, senior officials, serial blasts, state chief, state secretariat, tuesday morning, union home minister