Chidambaram reviews law and order in AssamJune 1st, 2009 - 6:19 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, June 1 (ANI): Union Home Minister P. Chidambaram on Monday summoned Assam Chief Secretary P.C. Sharma and the Director-General of Police G.M. Srivastava to review law and order situation in trouble torn North Cachar Hills district of Assam.
The Centre has intensified its efforts to bring back normalcy in the district.
The two senior most Assam officials are also expected to meet cabinet secretary K.M. Chandrasekhar and discussed about follow-up measures being taken after the central team’s recent visit to the district.
Meanwhile, the Assam Government has directed the chief of the newly created Special Task Force (STF) P.P. Singh to camp in North Cachar Hills district till the situation in the district improves.
According to sources, things had started moving after the high-level Central team headed by the Special Secretary (Internal Security) of the Ministry of Home Affairs visited to Haflong on Thursday.
At present, 67 companies of forces including 20 companies of the Army and Assam Rifles, nine companies each of the Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) and the Border Security Force (BSF) and personnel of the Assam police battalions are operating in the district. (ANI)
- Assam CM Gogoi cast his vote, confident of victory - Apr 04, 2011
- Five tribals killed, village torched in Assam - Jun 03, 2009
- 'Black Widow' militants' surrender will help peace in Assam - Oct 10, 2009
- Night train services resume in terror-hit section of northeast - Oct 21, 2009
- Chidambaram arrives in Srinagar on two-day visit - Jun 20, 2011
- Curfew re-imposed in Meghalaya's riot-hit areas - Jan 09, 2011
- No trace of kidnapped official in Meghalaya - Nov 28, 2011
- Assam asked to step up security in terror-hit region - May 28, 2009
- Blast rocks Assam ahead of Republic Day, train derailed - Jan 25, 2011
- Three grenade attacks in Assam, no casualties - Apr 29, 2010
- Arrest of 'Black Widow' enlivens hopes of peace in North Cachar Hills - Jun 14, 2009
- Elite force to tackle Meghalaya rebels - Jul 10, 2011
- Militant, civilian killed in Assam encounter - Apr 11, 2009
- Rebels free Meghalaya official after 34 days - Dec 24, 2011
- Meghalaya rebels set conditions for releasing official - Nov 23, 2011
Tags: assam government, assam police, assam rifles, border security force, bsf, cabinet secretary, cachar, chandrasekhar, chief secretary, crpf, internal security, law and order, ministry of home affairs, nine companies, normalcy, north cachar hills, police battalions, police force, reserve police, union home minister