Chidambaram meets PSU bank heads to review interest ratesNovember 4th, 2008 - 2:37 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Nov 4 (ANI): Finance Minister P Chidambaram met top executives of PSU banks today to review the liquidity situation and performance of lenders. The meeting comes a day after the captains of Indian industry met Prime Minister Dr. Manmohan Singh and demanded steps for enhancing liquidity and steps to create environment conducive for lowering of interest rates.
SBI Chairman O P Bhatt, PNB chief K C Chakrabarty, Bank of Baroda Chairman M D Mallya, Canara Bank head A C Mahajan, UCO Bank CMD S K Goel and top officials of the Finance Ministry and Reserve Bank of India (RBI) attended the meeting. On Sunday, Chidambaram said that he would ask the public sector banks to consider lowering lending rates to ease the liquidity crunch in the country.
While terming the RBI’’s latest policy package to inject more liquidity in the system as right, Chidambaram said, “I am happy with the policy package announced by the RBI. When it announced its (peak season) policy on October 24, the RBI had promised swift action in case it is necessary to infuse more liquidity.” On Saturday, the RBI had announced a slew of measures to inject liquidity in the system. The apex bank had cut the repo rate by 50 basis points to 7.5 per cent and the cash reserve ratio (CRR) by 100 basis points to 5.5 per cent and the statutory liquidity ratio (SLR) by 100 basis points to infuse an additional Rs 85,000 crore into the system.
In October, the RBI had injected an additional liquidity of Rs.1, 85,000 crore in the wake of global financial crisis. (ANI)
- UCO Bank might get capital infusion of Rs.2 billion - Feb 01, 2012
- CRR slash a cause for worry: HSBC - Apr 13, 2012
- Might see further slash in CRR by RBI: HSBC (Lead) - Apr 13, 2012
- India's central bank frees more money for credit (Lead) - Mar 09, 2012
- India's central bank frees more money for credit - Mar 09, 2012
- Chidambaram for banks to consider lowering interest rates - Nov 02, 2008
- RBI cuts SLR by 1 percent - Jul 31, 2012
- Increase in policy rates a necessary step to tame inflation: Pranab Mukherjee - May 03, 2011
- RBI keeps key rates unchanged, cuts SLR by 1 percent (Roundup) - Jul 31, 2012
- RBI governor meets Mukherjee ahead of policy review - Apr 03, 2012
- India's central bank cuts rates to push growth (Lead) - Apr 17, 2012
- RBI keeps key rates unchanged as inflation outlook worsens (Lead) - Jul 31, 2012
- Mukherjee appreciates Reserve Bank of India's Monetary Policy Review - Nov 02, 2010
- India's central bank marginally eases monetary policy - Dec 16, 2010
- Industry needs credit to boost growth: Anand Sharma - May 03, 2011
Tags: 100 basis points, apex bank, bank of baroda, bank of india, canara bank, cash reserve ratio, chakrabarty, dr manmohan singh, finance ministry, global financial crisis, liquidity situation, mallya, manmohan singh, p bhatt, psu banks, public sector banks, repo rate, reserve bank of india, statutory liquidity ratio, uco bank