Chidambaram in Jammu, visits Vaishno DeviApril 10th, 2012 - 12:06 pm ICT by IANS
Jammu, April 10 (IANS) Union Home Minister P. Chidambaram arrived here Tuesday for a daylong visit to review the security situation in Jammu and Kashmir and also pay obeisance at the Vaishno Devi shrine.
Chidambaram began his visit by undertaking the journey to Vaishno Devi, about 50 km from here in the Trikuta hills. He boarded a chopper for Sanji Chhat and from there moved on foot to reach the shrine.
He was accompanied by Governor N.N. Vohra, who also heads the Shri Mata Vaishno Devi Shrine Board that manages the affairs of the shrine.
Sources said he would review the security situation in the state on returning from Vaishno Devi.
The controversial Armed Forces Special Powers Act (AFSPA), making public the interlocutors’ report on Kashmir and the requirement of paramilitary forces for the annual Amarnath pilgrimage scheduled to begin June 25 are among the issues that might come up in talks between the minister and state government officials.
- Chidambaram discusses AFSPA with Kashmir government (Second Lead) - Apr 10, 2012
- Chidambaram in Jammu, Omar presses for AFSPA withdrawal - Apr 10, 2012
- Chidambaram to pay obeisance at Vaishno Devi - Apr 06, 2012
- Kashmir had record 12 million tourists - Dec 31, 2011
- President arriving in Jammu - Nov 24, 2011
- President visits Vaishno Devi shrine, ends Kashmir visit - Nov 26, 2011
- Record 10 million pilgrims visit Vaishno Devi shrine (Lead) - Dec 29, 2011
- Sreedharan on Vaishno Devi Board - Mar 27, 2012
- Vaishno Devi Gurukul gets affiliated to Varanasi varsity - Sep 11, 2012
- President to visit Kashmir - Nov 05, 2011
- President begins Jammu visit (Lead) - Nov 24, 2011
- Home ministry reviews situation ahead of Amarnath Yatra - Jun 11, 2012
- Over five million pilgrims visit Vaishno Devi till June - Jul 04, 2012
- Over 1 lakh pilgrims visit Amarnath shrine in 5 days - Jun 30, 2012
- Record pilgrims visit Vaishno Devi - Dec 25, 2011
Tags: amarnath, armed forces, chhat, chopper, jammu and kashmir, journey, kashmir, mata vaishno devi shrine board, obeisance, p chidambaram, paramilitary forces, pilgrimage, security situation, shri mata vaishno devi shrine board, state government officials, union home minister, vaishno devi shrine, vohra