Chidambaram for banks to consider lowering interest ratesNovember 2nd, 2008 - 7:20 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Nov 2 (ANI): Union Finance Minister P Chidambaram on Sunday said he will ask the public sector banks to consider lowering lending rates to ease the liquidity crunch in the country.
In an interview to a news agency, Chidambaram said that he would take up the issue of interest rate cut during a meeting with chairpersons of public sector banks in Delhi on November 4.
While terming the Reserve Bank of Indias (RBI) latest policy package to inject more liquidity in the system as right, Chidambaram said, “I am happy with the policy package announced by the RBI. When it announced its (peak season) policy on October 24, the RBI had promised swift action in case it is necessary to infuse more liquidity.”
He further said, “I am happy that the RBI has responded swiftly.”
On Saturday, the RBI had announced a slew of measures to inject liquidity in the system.
The apex bank had cut the repo rate by 50 basis points to 7.5 per cent and the cash reserve ratio (CRR) by 100 basis points to 5.5 per cent and the statutory liquidity ratio (SLR) by 100 basis points to infuse an additional Rs 85,000 crore into the system.
In October, the RBI had injected an additional liquidity of Rs.1,85,000 crore in the wake of global financial crisis.
The Finance Minister said the RBI’’s policy was also a signal to the banks that they should now consider lowering their interest rates. (ANI)
- India's central bank frees more money for credit (Lead) - Mar 09, 2012
- India's central bank frees more money for credit - Mar 09, 2012
- CRR slash a cause for worry: HSBC - Apr 13, 2012
- Might see further slash in CRR by RBI: HSBC (Lead) - Apr 13, 2012
- RBI keeps key rates unchanged, cuts SLR by 1 percent (Roundup) - Jul 31, 2012
- Chidambaram meets PSU bank heads to review interest rates - Nov 04, 2008
- RBI cuts SLR by 1 percent - Jul 31, 2012
- RBI keeps key rates unchanged as inflation outlook worsens (Lead) - Jul 31, 2012
- India's central bank marginally eases monetary policy - Dec 16, 2010
- Increase in policy rates a necessary step to tame inflation: Pranab Mukherjee - May 03, 2011
- India's central bank cuts rates to push growth (Lead) - Apr 17, 2012
- UCO Bank might get capital infusion of Rs.2 billion - Feb 01, 2012
- India's central bank cuts interest rates to spur economy (Roundup) - Apr 17, 2012
- RBI governor meets Mukherjee ahead of policy review - Apr 03, 2012
- RBI hikes key rates by 0.25 percent to curb inflation - Jan 25, 2011
Tags: 100 basis points, apex, apex bank, cash reserve ratio, crore, crr, crunch, global financial crisis, nov 2, october 24, p chidambaram, peak season, public sector banks, rbi, repo rate, rs 1, slew, statutory liquidity ratio, swift action, union finance minister