Chicken culling starts, as bird flu strikes TripuraMarch 8th, 2011 - 5:39 pm ICT by ANI
Gandhigram, Mar 8(ANI): Veterinaries in Tripura have started the process of culling chickens, after an outbreak of Avian Influenza or bird flu in the state.
Veterinarians began the culling on Monday in the state-owned poultry farm in Gandhigram, about 30 kilometres from state capital Agartala.
The poultry farm is one of the main chicken breeding centres in the state with a capacity of about 7,000 chickens.
Officials said about 380 birds had died between the March 1 and March 4, after which samples were sent to the High Security Animal Disease Laboratory (HSADL) in Bhopal
Test reports came positive for the H1N5 virus on Sunday.
The in-charge of the Gandhigram State Poultry Farm, Dipangshu Chowdhury, said: “The culling process will continue for the next two days. Along with the hens we have another 1,400 Japanese peahens and 20,000 eggs, which need to dumped”
Chowdhury added the poultry in the radius of 10 kilometres would be culled, in addition to the birds in the farm.
A high alert has been sounded throughout the state for monitoring the spread of bird flu.
This is the second time bird flu has been detected in the state after February this year. Health and veterinary workers had then culled more than 4,000 chickens.
Bird flu first broke out in India in 2006.
Millions of chickens and ducks have been culled since then to contain the virus. (ANI)
- Experts to study cause of bird flu outbreak - Mar 17, 2012
- Culling of birds starts in Bengal - Sep 20, 2011
- Make poultry farming in northeast more scientific: Aviation flu experts - Apr 22, 2012
- Bird flu: Odisha begins culling poultry birds - Jan 12, 2012
- Bird flu: Culling of birds planned in Bhubaneswar (Lead) - Feb 04, 2012
- Bird flu: Culling begins in Tripura - Mar 08, 2011
- More poultry birds culled in Odisha - Jan 18, 2012
- Bird flu case surfaces in Bhubaneswar - Feb 04, 2012
- Tripura begins culling to contain bird flu - Jan 27, 2012
- Culling continues in avian flu-hit district of Meghalaya - Jan 13, 2012
- Fresh cases of bird flu in Tripura - Mar 06, 2011
- Meghalaya culls 5,000 birds - Jan 18, 2012
- Odisha orders poultry cull after detection of bird flu - Jan 11, 2012
- Fresh death of fowls, culling continues in Meghalaya - Jan 15, 2012
- Indian states bordering Bangladesh vulnerable to bird flu (Lead) - Mar 23, 2011
Tags: animal disease, bird flu, chickens, culling, disease laboratory, ducks, flu, hens, high security, influenza, kilometres, march 1, outbreak, peahens, poultry farm, second time, state veterinarians, test reports, time bird, veterinaries