Chianti wine may be the elixir of lifeSeptember 16th, 2008 - 1:37 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Sept 16 (ANI): Italys most famous Chianti wine infused with a concoction of honey, cherries and secret herbs can be the secret to long life, according to an 18 th century recipe.
The therapeutic recipe was discovered in an old manuscript discovered in the shelves of Italys oldest Tuscany pharmacy in Asciano near Sienna dating back to 1715.
“My ancestors left several manuscripts with formulas for digestive drinks, but this one struck me because of its ingredients. I knew it had strong scientific basis,” Discovery quoted pharmacist Giovanni De Munari, who found the old recipe.
After the discovery, De Munari brewed the beverage, and came up with a “low-calorie, highly digestive alcoholic infusion, which tasted delicious.”
The key ingredient in the elixir is the Sangiovese grape, which is the soul of Chianti wine.
Until the middle of the 19th century, Chianti wine was only made out of Sangiovese grapes; however, around 1850 Baron Bettino Ricasoli codified the formula and included 15 percent of the white grapes like malvasia.
“In our recipe, we only have Sangiovese grapes. This is much more like the famous Brunello variety which grows in this area,” said De Munari.
The elixir’’s formula echoes recent studies that credit resveratrol, a compound found in the skins of red grapes and helps in protecting against heart disease and other age-related illnesses.
“Researchers are currently investigating whether resveratrol acts like a longevity molecule that mimics the effects of a calorie-restricted diet,” De Munari said.
“My ancestors may not have known the names of the chemicals, but they knew that red wine, and Chianti in particular, had therapeutic properties,” De Munari added. (ANI)
- Thumbs down to benefits of chocolate, red wine - Aug 29, 2012
- Red wine compound can halt breast cancer - Oct 02, 2011
- Red wine makes cancer drug more potent - Feb 15, 2011
- Cocktail of cheap drugs 'could prevent Alzheimer's disease' - Nov 23, 2010
- Red wine ingredient prevents blinding - Jun 25, 2010
- Barrymore launches own wine brand - Feb 21, 2012
- Cocktail of cheap drugs can prevent Alzheimer's? - Nov 23, 2010
- Milk compound tough on waistline isolated - Jun 06, 2012
- Italy wine exports beat home consumption for first time - Apr 08, 2011
- 'Drinking red wine can help people live longer' - Aug 01, 2010
- International honour for Indian wine expert - Jun 27, 2011
- New compound staves off obesity - Apr 05, 2012
- Red wine compound 'can give a boost to breast cancer treatment' - Feb 15, 2011
- South Africa pushes its fruity presses in Indian wine mart (With Image) - Jun 07, 2012
- Glass of red wine can help regulate diabetes - Nov 22, 2010
Tags: bettino, brunello, calorie restricted diet, cherries, chianti wine, concoction, elixir of life, heart disease, longevity, low calorie, malvasia, molecule, munari, old manuscript, red wine, sangiovese grape, sangiovese grapes, secret herbs, therapeutic properties, white grapes